Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

My son is throwing tantrums and It's driving me crazy

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 20 months and I feel like it's terrible two's already. He is my first child so this is new to me.

He is throwing TERRIBLE fits. He's throwing things, screaming bloody murder, hitting me, etc. It's ridiculous. I try to ignore it most of the time but it's so hard. I'm starting to lose my patience, and it worries me. I almost feel like his grandparents baby him too much and this is why he's like this. He stays with them all day since they baby sit him. And when I'm home from work, it's so hard to keep up with him. He's constantly getting into things and wanting his way.

Is this normal or excessive? What are some things that I can do to help with my situation? 

Thanks. :) 

I need friends so add me please! 

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Replies (11-15):
jamsk8mommy1
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:00 AM
If that helps keep him safe then I don't see an issue. I have wood floors, but my son usually sits up to throw his fits. It's just to let him know that mommy won't react to fits. I don't consider it a time out when you don't have a set time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AudMac
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

OK, so I'm a reader, and I have the American Academy of Pediatricians and I was actually reading about what to do with tantrums yesterday. According to them you should either distract them with something, or completely ignore him. Haha easier said than done but maybe it'll work, sorry I couldnt give any better advice. Little boys are tough but wonderful!

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Putting him in his play pen and stepping away is the best thing you could do about them right now. Keeps him safe and doesn't reinforce the negative behavior. Keep doing what you're doing mama and staying strong.

One thing I noticed was that DS threw more tantrums at that age when I had been working a lot. It was almost like he missed me while I was at work and he was sort of decompressing through a tantrum. On my days off we would have almost no tantrums but in the evenings after work he was extra challenging. Basically, I figured that DS missed me while I was at work and that he would release all of his pent up frustration from the day once he got home with me and felt safe. At that age they're right on the cusp of expressing themselves but still have so far to go. Emotions can be overwhelming for them so the best thing you can do is keep him safe while he rides it out. Then you can soothe after he's done with the thrashing and hitting.  

alreadydidthis
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM
He will love you. Its normal to feel these way for first time moms. But you rather him grow up to be a disrepctful spoiled brat or learn that mommy still loves you but you have to listen. Do you have another sitter. Just to let grandparents know get it together or someone else can watch him.(scare tatic) lol

Quoting Xray1210:

I try to tell them to please lay off the spoiling but they don't seem to understand! All it's doing is making it harder on him when I'm home. And I feel like he's not going to love me or want to be around me b/c I'm the mean mom. Ya know?

Quoting alreadydidthis:

Its hard when the grandparents dont help. Id tell the grandparents he needs timeouts or thumps what ever duscipline you choose. But at home you got to stay firm. Gl

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ruthzaad
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM
People say the terrible 2s but I think 3 is worse because they seem to develop a serious attitude then. Not the tantrum attitude but the "its mine" "i don't want to" and the "i don't like that" attitude. At 2 all my babies were cuddly and wanted to do everything with me. Age 3 they became little terrors and tried to be independent but didn't know how to be independent.

Quoting Xray1210:

Hahaha. Sometimes when my son is throwing dumb fits, my sister throws a fit with him. It does get him to stop :)

Oh boy. What happens at age 3?

Quoting Ruthzaad:

My kids hardly throw fits but if they do I have methods to make them stop or get them laughing. If they throw themselves on the floor I do the same but act silly and that gets them laughing. If they run up to me screaming and crying, I pick them up with their feet in the air and say "oh my goodness, life is so horrible". If they hit I say "be nice" in a stern voice, if they persist they get a time out after a lecture. Lol the lecture usually takes the fight out of them. Ihope it turns out well for you, buy in my opinion, age 3 is the worst.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN