Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

A cat lover I am not...WITH EDIT

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM
  • 43 Replies
So I adopted a kitten from our local shelter yesterday for our 2.5 yr old dd. She is in love. I however, am not. The kitten kept me up ALL night meowing last night, and has pooped everywhere except the litter box. What do I do? Advice?I will not put up with a filthy home but I cannot break my babys heart and just get rid of the kitten. We also have an 11 month old who is in to everything and I don't want her innocently crawling into a pile of cat crap. I'm going to invest in a large crate for when we are gone but how can I get this kitten to use the litter box until then? HELP!

Edit. Thanks to those of you who were friendly about your advice. The kitten is doing great. Her first night was just a lot of adjustments. She has been using the litter box and slept with my oldest dd all night last night :) I just needed more patience, she is just a baby, after all.

And to the bitches: I was asking for advice from people who had cat experience, and I did such in a polite way. If you feel the need to get snippy and defensive over something as small as a litter box question, you need to take a pill and chill the hell out. Some of you are just nuts.
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom_of_one_2010
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Train the kitten. When it uses the bath room somewhere else's, pick up the cat, point at the mess and say no bad kitty in a frim voice, then place cat in litter box, and take its paw and scratch the litter.

You may have to do this more than once but it takes time to train the cat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:10 AM
This. It's a baby and doesn't automatically know where to go potty. Just take it to the litter box every half hour to hour or a few minutes after it eats or drinks anything and scratch its paw in the litter gently and wait for a bit. Praise it for going in the box and for scratching it's paw in the box. Maybe leave one clump of pee there so it can smell that it's supposed to go potty there.

Quoting mom_of_one_2010:

Train the kitten. When it uses the bath room somewhere else's, pick up the cat, point at the mess and say no bad kitty in a frim voice, then place cat in litter box, and take its paw and scratch the litter.

You may have to do this more than once but it takes time to train the cat

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
junebaby11
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Peopke like u annoy me, a animal is not a toy to just get, its a lifelong commitnent, that poor kitten is a baby it doesnt understand yet its responsibilities you have to teach it, which takes patience the thing that u seem to be missing, it kerps u up at nihht because its a baby, you should of thought this through u have two kids to look after, an 11 month old and a kitten dont mix i suggest u rehome it because if it hurts ur babies fault it wont be its fault it will be yours its an animal and a baby itself and before anyone calls me a bitch in sorry im stating the truth animals have short lives they dont need to be tossed around just because someone cant do their own responsobilities, i understand u thought the kitten was cute but it has a soul its not a toy, im an animal lover but i wont even be getting a cat til all my kids are above 5 i just dont have time right now i have a dog already and i barely get enough time with her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2babygurls.h.f
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Every cat I ever had, I brought home, immediately sat him or her in the litter box, and put it down where it would stay, and the cat was trained. Try showing the cat where the poo is, tap his nose, and pick up the poo in toilet paper, and carry it and the poo to the litter box, put the poo in there, and sit the cat down, and hold his butt in the litter. Show him poo goes in the litter box.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsfred07
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:16 AM
The first poster had good advice. That's what we did and it worked.. Not overnight though! And the meowing its in a new place. My five year old cat meowed for the first couple weeks after we moved in June. Drove.Me.Frickin.Nuts. But she stopped once she got used to where we are now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GibsonSD92
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Ok, well people like YOU annoy ME! Does that make a bit of difference to you? Probably not. She's looking for advice on a situation she ALREADY has herself in. If you're really such an animal lover shouldn't you understand that she is goin to try and fix the situation before throwing the damn thing out the door or putting it BACK into a shelter.? Having a kitten and a baby is not impossible.. It's just going to take a little extra work.

OP:: I agree with PP about the training tehnique.. A lot of people think cats are born litter box friendly but that's not always the case.. Good luck!

Quoting junebaby11:

Peopke like u annoy me, a animal is not a toy to just get, its a lifelong commitnent, that poor kitten is a baby it doesnt understand yet its responsibilities you have to teach it, which takes patience the thing that u seem to be missing, it kerps u up at nihht because its a baby, you should of thought this through u have two kids to look after, an 11 month old and a kitten dont mix i suggest u rehome it because if it hurts ur babies fault it wont be its fault it will be yours its an animal and a baby itself and before anyone calls me a bitch in sorry im stating the truth animals have short lives they dont need to be tossed around just because someone cant do their own responsobilities, i understand u thought the kitten was cute but it has a soul its not a toy, im an animal lover but i wont even be getting a cat til all my kids are above 5 i just dont have time right now i have a dog already and i barely get enough time with her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahandEliza
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:23 AM
We just got a puppy, so I know how you're feeling. Right now we have the baby gate blocking her in the kitchen and laundry room. I'd say keep the kitten in rooms that don't have carpet until it gets trained. In my experience, cats are easier to train than dogs, so hopefully it won't take too long!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayntayMaMa
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Thanks guys :) we are dog people and this is my first rodeo with a cat, and I guess I just need more patience! I will def try those training tips!
hplesha
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM
The cat probably feels lonely at night. Take it to bed with you to comfort it. Keep putting it in the litter box every hour so it knows where the box is at.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dippydoomomof2
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Cats seem prettu easy to train. I brought a wild kitten in once and she was box trained in a day. She would stay in the bathroom while I was at work but she did great. My only advice is set kitty in the litter box ever 30 mins or so and it should click. There will still be accidents, we have a 14 year old cat and she slips up on occasion. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)