Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

if you read the bible, and know what this bible quote means, please explain it.

Posted by   + Show Post

"spare the rod, hurt the child" I am not sure if that is the proper wording of it in the bible, but i am sure you know what i mean. what is it's proper interpretation? does it mean spank your child as a form of discipline?

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
novachick
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM
It is not in the bible, it is just a saying of sorts. It comes from the actual verse that says "He who spareth the rod hateth his son, but he that loveth him correcteth him" proverbs 13:24
Some people interpret this literally as in spanking and some interpret it as any type of discipline.
Quoting prettygirl326:

huh it's in my bible! where do you find it?

Quoting novachick:

Spare the rod spoil the child isn't in the bible

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy425906
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Proverbs 13:24 - "The one holding back his rod is hating his son, but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline."

Exact wording may differ translation to translation but basically it means discipline is necessary when raising a child. It does not mean use a literal rod, or corporal punishment. Every child is different so a certain type of discipline may work for one & not the other. The general point is to discipline, it shows you love them. 

bfairbanks
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM

The Bible doesnt just come right out and say "Spare the Rod Spoil the Child" but where that comes from is Proverbs 13:24 and Proverbs 23:13,14.

Quoting prettygirl326:

huh it's in my bible! where do you find it?

Quoting novachick:

Spare the rod spoil the child isn't in the bible

prettygirl326
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

thanks and i totally agree with this. a debate on FB called for a explaination of what that means because i said i don't think spanking a child should be the only form of punishment and this quote was thrown at me..so i had to make sure i wasn't crazy lol cause i am sure it doesn't mean what they think it means.

Quoting mommy425906:

Proverbs 13:24 - "The one holding back his rod is hating his son, but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline."

Exact wording may differ translation to translation but basically it means discipline is necessary when raising a child. It does not mean use a literal rod, or corporal punishment. Every child is different so a certain type of discipline may work for one & not the other. The general point is to discipline, it shows you love them. 

armybratmom612
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM
This is the meaning I was raised with also and have learned from the spiritual education I have

Quoting cnlsmommy:

I agree with this analysis

Quoting bfairbanks:

I'm no expert but went to a christian school and raised in a very biblical environment and hear the saying "spare the rod, spoil the child" quite often. I do not think it means to spank, beat, or hit your child, I have heard it be put that way. But I think the "rod" is a metaphor for discipline, children without discipline tend to be spoiled and rude, no discipline leads to no self control. As parents we are supposed to teach out children right from wrong and I think that is the meaning of the saying, again no expert....Hope it helps

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HaileysMom07180
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM

i've never heard it in that context.  where is the verse in the bible.

crabtreemommy
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM

No. It means dont punish or chatise the child and it will hurt the child in the future (as in they wont follow rules and it will cost them in the future). So make sure to form your child correctly by showing them right from wrong. 

prettygirl326
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Proverbs 13:24 - "The one holding back his rod is hating his son, but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline." that is what someone posted....

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

HaileysMom07180
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM

the way i interpret it is not to show hatred toward your children when disciplining them but to discipline them in a loving way that allows the to understand where they faltered and what to do next time.  

Quoting prettygirl326:

Proverbs 13:24 - "The one holding back his rod is hating his son, but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline." that is what someone posted....

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

kissmiss213
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

it means that without discipline all you end up doing is raising a brat, and that hurts your child. you arent doing it any favors by letting it get everything and do whatever the hell it wants.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)