Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

First postpartum period while breastfeeding? *TMI*

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM
  • 13 Replies

Has anyone who has breastfed had these symptoms with their first postpartum period? I'm still breastfeeding, haven't stopped or slowed down, and I've been lucky not to have a period yet but I have no idea what's going on with my body but there is almost NO way I am pregnant though it sounds like it. Sex became very painful during pregnancy and I am still breastfeeding and sex is still extremely painful 10 months later. We have had sex once in the last month and it was so painful that we didn't finish nor was he able to get in very deep. So I really don't think there's any way I'm pregnant.

But a few days ago my nipples started hurting while breastfeeding. It hurts so much at times that I just want to cut it short and push her away (I don't though). It's both sides that hurt. I'm having mood swings like crazy. I'm tired tired tired and don't feel like doing anything. And I'm nauseated! My sense of smell is sharp again which isn't helping the nausea. I had what could be ovary pains a few days ago but they were nothing like anything I've felt and I haven't had any cramps or anything like that. No breakouts. No cravings - I've lost my appetite because of the nausea.

I don't have any lumps in my breasts that would be a clogged duct or anything like that. I'm not really sure if this means I'm about to start my period or if it's a hormonal imbalance or something else? Does anyone know what this is? I knew I wasn't feeling great the last week or so but the nipples are what made me realize it could all be connected.

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I would get checked out.  There could be a hormone imbalance or possible pregnancy.  Each pregnancy can have different symptoms.

Rach0307
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't start my period until a few weeks after I stopped bfing, so I have no idea. But here's a bump for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CountryMom357
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea, but I would talk to your dr about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meg2011425
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:01 PM
It could be birth control if your on it. Or a hormone imbalance. I know mine are usually horrible. I get migraines during ovulation and during my periods.

I would ask your doctor what it could be. It may just be your hormone levels getting leveled after having your baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM

You are most likely about to start your period. if it hasn't shown up in the next few days, take a pg test, just to rule it out, and then call a doctor.

lilyrose2011
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM

id take a pregnancy test just in case...because i was still breastfeeding and was "for sure" i wasnt prego...buuuuut turned out i was prego. and we were doin the whole pullout method...which i know isnt a good one but it worked for years haha so just take a test to make sure and if anything talk to your docter just to make sure everything is alright...somtimes sex just doesnt feel good for woman after having a baby.

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I don't take birth control so it's definitely not that! I took a pregnancy test this morning & it was negative so I'm assuming it's some kind of hormone imbalance or something more that way. This morning I'm starting to get cramps so it may just be a period! I'd actually welcome it to stop feeling like this lol

Quoting Meg2011425:

It could be birth control if your on it. Or a hormone imbalance. I know mine are usually horrible. I get migraines during ovulation and during my periods.

I would ask your doctor what it could be. It may just be your hormone levels getting leveled after having your baby.

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I took a test this morning & it was negative but I do need to make an appointment anyway because I miss our old sex life (sorry TMI!)

Quoting lilyrose2011:

id take a pregnancy test just in case...because i was still breastfeeding and was "for sure" i wasnt prego...buuuuut turned out i was prego. and we were doin the whole pullout method...which i know isnt a good one but it worked for years haha so just take a test to make sure and if anything talk to your docter just to make sure everything is alright...somtimes sex just doesnt feel good for woman after having a baby.

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM

The cramps started this morning so I'm really thinking that's probably it & poor DH said I've been way too snappy lately for it to not be that haha

Quoting TempestRayne:

You are most likely about to start your period. if it hasn't shown up in the next few days, take a pg test, just to rule it out, and then call a doctor.

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I think I'm going to if I don't start a period soon! I tested this morning & it was negative so I'm going with not pregnant right now though if things don't change I'll probably test again in a few weeks.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would get checked out.  There could be a hormone imbalance or possible pregnancy.  Each pregnancy can have different symptoms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN