Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Advice on formula...

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:01 AM
  • 26 Replies

I have a 5 week old. When he was born, they started him on Similac Advanced. He started becoming constipated, gassy, and fussy. He also was spitting up and projectile vomiting every now and then. I switched him to Similac Sensitive. He is doing better but he still gets a bit constipated and fussy because he can't get the gas out. I use Gas X and it helps some, and I give him enemas but he gets constipated about every 3 days or so. He still spits up and vomits, just not near as bad. I'm trying to see if any of you may have any other suggestions on another type of formula I could feed him that would help with these problems... I am taking him to the peditrician tomorrow for the reflux problem he may have. Thanks in advance for the advice!

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TrentOneAndDone
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:44 AM
Sounds like my son. I switched him to soy formula with rice in every other bottle once he was about three months. It made him a totally different baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:59 AM
For reflux issues, feed him in an upright position and keep him upright for 30 minutes after.

My son was on Similac Sensitive and went through this as well. He outgrew it. We did rub his tummy and "bicycle" his legs to help with constipation.

And contrary to what some may suggest, you NEVER out rice or any kind of cereal in a baby's bottle! It is a big choking risk, their tummies are too immature to digest it, and it leads to a big increase in overweight children. Doing so is just beyond ignorant and horrible or baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eringlading
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Both my kids were on soy. They got very constipated and gassy from the similac advance. I would talk to ur doctor. There may be other things going on. He could have a milk allergy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Sounds like you got some great advice. Good luck with the doctor today. I hope he/she is able to help you out with this issue.

hugs

NoahandEliza
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM
How long have you had him on sensitive? It took dd a while to get used to it and she was ok after a week or week and a half. Ds had to have soy and I found that Carnation, which I think is Gerber now, worked the best for spit up and vomit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrentOneAndDone
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
My pedi suggested the rice and ds turned out just fine. He would actually choke and vomit with just formula.

Quoting MamaPeanut:

For reflux issues, feed him in an upright position and keep him upright for 30 minutes after.

My son was on Similac Sensitive and went through this as well. He outgrew it. We did rub his tummy and "bicycle" his legs to help with constipation.

And contrary to what some may suggest, you NEVER out rice or any kind of cereal in a baby's bottle! It is a big choking risk, their tummies are too immature to digest it, and it leads to a big increase in overweight children. Doing so is just beyond ignorant and horrible or baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meg2011425
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:46 AM
He may be lactose and tolerant: can't handle milk. My son was the same way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ltmana
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:47 AM
My dd had GERD & a protein sensitivity and was put on Similac Alimentum. It helped tremendously! Her symptoms were identical to your son's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyBigFam6
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Same as itmana

My DD was like that try some reflux meds from Dr. And get on alimentum its expensive but.my DD and I struggled till she was five.months. that's BC Dr wouldn't listen so I changed drs. My daughter was ten lbs at four months. She stopped growing for a while. Till this day she's tiny. 2 us 8 months 25 lbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squishylove
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM
I wouldn't go to soy unless it's the last possible choice, but that's just me.
You may have to switch brands. Have you tried enfamil? They are different so it can help.
My middle daughter had to be on parents choice lactose free formula, even the sensitive and gentle were too tough on her tummy.

Also gripe water is the BEST thing for gassy tummies and upset babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN