Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Bash if you must but I need some help

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that I will be bashed for feeding my son solids at 3months however despite knowing I'll be told I'm wrong for doing it I need advice anyway. My son hates cereal yet my mom keeps telling me to feed him cereal anyway. I have tried all types, hot/ cold, mixed with water/formula. He spits it right back out no matter what time of day or how I make it. However give him carrots or applesauce he eats it right up. I told my mom that he hates it and her conclusion is that its new. Well so isnt the other stuff he eats but he doesnt make me wear those. I need advice on how to make my mom understand he doesnt want cereal so I wont force it on him.

Okay so I gotta know...doesnt anyone see how much he is eatting?? 8 to 10 ounce bottles EVERY 2 hours. Doesnt spit it back up or anything. Now do you see why I've chosen the solids route? I'm not trying to start a fight but I feel that it should be pointed out that I dont breast feed and his ONE can of formula cost 23/24 dollars a pop. its 23.5 oz can.

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
JRSMOM0621
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Okay I knew I would get bashed however lets keep the language clean. My pediatrican recomended starting him on solids when he started to eat more. He has been eatting 8 to 10 ounces for the past 3 days every 2 hours. I chose to have my son start on solids because cereal just doesnt seem to be his thing.

JRSMOM0621
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I would agree if he was thrusting everything out but its just that cereal. I'm at a loss on that.

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

I have actually heard some doctors say small amounts of food is ok this young .I worked with infants from 6weeks to age 2yrs for over 6 yrs at a children's center and it seemed like everyone's Dr had a diff opinion!That being said have you tried to mix the cereal with applesauce? baby cereal is some nasty tasting stuff! I would say that it is a reflex to spit out his food meaning he is not ready yet but if he does ok with the other stuff maybe his cereal is just to thick?It also takes at least 15 times of introducing a food to get some kids to like and except it. Either way it is your choice not your moms what he eats and as long as your pedi gives you the go ahead for solids then don't worry about anyone else's thoughts.

JRSMOM0621
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I would agree to that if he wasnt swallowing the other foods. I make sure that the cereal is the same consistancy as much as possible to the carrots. I think its purely taste he hates.

Quoting crazy4u49033:

It sounds like his tounge thrust reflex is still strong( hence his 'spitting out' food. This means he is not ready for solids. I would continue with formula or bm and try again in a month. Why do you think you have to do solids now.

JRSMOM0621
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Your allowed :-) Like my title I dont mind criticism. However I'm going purely on gut to what to feed my child. generations have been doing it so I dont see why we have to change it now when every ped I ask/have been to say something completely different.

Quoting Brandy85412:

3 months is just WAY too YOUNG not sure why you are feeding him food now. Not going to argue about it cause you already know you shouldn't by the title. just putting my 2 cents in cause I can. 

crazy4u49033
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Gotcha! He doesn't need cereal anyways, but try mixing with what he likes with the cereal.

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

I would agree to that if he wasnt swallowing the other foods. I make sure that the cereal is the same consistancy as much as possible to the carrots. I think its purely taste he hates.

Quoting crazy4u49033:

It sounds like his tounge thrust reflex is still strong( hence his 'spitting out' food. This means he is not ready for solids. I would continue with formula or bm and try again in a month. Why do you think you have to do solids now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yayay15
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Why in the world are you feeding him solids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babydylan3
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I think that you can stop giving him the cereal dylan didnt take it til now he is 6 months. 

JRSMOM0621
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Dr approval, gut and the fact he is eatting 8 to 10 oz bottles every 2 hours.

Quoting yayay15:

Why in the world are you feeding him solids?

JRSMOM0621
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I'll try that tonight and see if it'll work.

Quoting crazy4u49033:

Gotcha! He doesn't need cereal anyways, but try mixing with what he likes with the cereal.

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Quoting crazy4u49033:

a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM
I always mixed my kids cereal with fruit or veggies. They loved it. And I would agree with you doing it. He isn't satisfied if he is eating that much that often! Have you tried a different nipple with just a lil bit of cereal in his milk?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)