Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Bash if you must but I need some help

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that I will be bashed for feeding my son solids at 3months however despite knowing I'll be told I'm wrong for doing it I need advice anyway. My son hates cereal yet my mom keeps telling me to feed him cereal anyway. I have tried all types, hot/ cold, mixed with water/formula. He spits it right back out no matter what time of day or how I make it. However give him carrots or applesauce he eats it right up. I told my mom that he hates it and her conclusion is that its new. Well so isnt the other stuff he eats but he doesnt make me wear those. I need advice on how to make my mom understand he doesnt want cereal so I wont force it on him.

Okay so I gotta know...doesnt anyone see how much he is eatting?? 8 to 10 ounce bottles EVERY 2 hours. Doesnt spit it back up or anything. Now do you see why I've chosen the solids route? I'm not trying to start a fight but I feel that it should be pointed out that I dont breast feed and his ONE can of formula cost 23/24 dollars a pop. its 23.5 oz can.

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Replies (121-130):
addiesmommy1109
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM
While I also agree with the price of formula not being an excuse to feed a child early, not everyone qualifies for government assistance. We make $300 over the limit for wic and I feed my dd the wal mart brand because there is absolutely no way I could afford the name brand. Even though we "struggle" we don't qualify so government assistance isn't always an option and it's sad how everyone feels like it is.

Quoting rayroe2:

I am not bashing because I seen people fed there babies from 1 month old....it annoys the hell out of me when hear/see it but if you cant afford formula go to WIC that's NO excuses to feed your child early my dd was a huge eater she would down about the same as you kid babies go threw growth spurts doesn't mean feed them early on, but your going to do what your going to do so what advice do you need? tell your mom that is your kid and you like her advice but when it comes to food it's not needed.....my MIL tried to be pushy about feeding my dd went behind my back and started feeding her solids we got that straight real quick.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rayroe2
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I only said that because a lot of times you can qualify for WIC but not FS or other things, so I don't know the pay limit that it is has. Target has a big can that they sale for 21 bucks and sometimes it will be on sale for 14 and last two weeks even threw all those big feedings.

Quoting addiesmommy1109:

While I also agree with the price of formula not being an excuse to feed a child early, not everyone qualifies for government assistance. We make $300 over the limit for wic and I feed my dd the wal mart brand because there is absolutely no way I could afford the name brand. Even though we "struggle" we don't qualify so government assistance isn't always an option and it's sad how everyone feels like it is.

Quoting rayroe2:

I am not bashing because I seen people fed there babies from 1 month old....it annoys the hell out of me when hear/see it but if you cant afford formula go to WIC that's NO excuses to feed your child early my dd was a huge eater she would down about the same as you kid babies go threw growth spurts doesn't mean feed them early on, but your going to do what your going to do so what advice do you need? tell your mom that is your kid and you like her advice but when it comes to food it's not needed.....my MIL tried to be pushy about feeding my dd went behind my back and started feeding her solids we got that straight real quick.

CafeMom Tickers
Quatrekins
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I agree with mixing it. When I started DS on cereal at 6 months, he spit it right out. He didn't take it until I mixed it with some fruit. Have you tasted baby cereal? It's like mushy cardboard... Blech!

MrsDurrett
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I would say, you are the mother feed him! I know they say that you arent suppost to feed them til 6 months plain baby food. If you think feeding him is the best thing for him, then you do that. I know my twins are 5 months now and they were eating 5 ounces every hour to hour 1.5, I started to try to feed them cereal but they hate it. I started putting cereal in their milk at 2 months, due to acid reflux. Try getting some baby food and adding a little cereal to that or Ive also heard doing a little apple juice to the cereal and them eating it that way. I gave my twins mashed potatoes at 4 months and they spit them at me, but give them green beans and they will eat them right up. So I say tell your mom thank you for the advice, but you are the mother and the sole caregiver and you do what you believe is right. I mean what did they do back in the days when they didnt have baby food? I say feed him, the baby is drinking to much at a time, so give him some food, it will fill him up better and maybe make him go longer between feedgins

MamaGlitterBug
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM
My daughter had cereal at 2 weeks old PER HER PEDIATRICIAN. She had severe acid reflux and had already been hospitalized for failure to thrive.

But hers was very liquidy and i mixed 1 teaspoon of cereal per ounce if milk if I remember correctly and was in her bottles. We only used rice (least likely to cause allergic reaction). Cereal is thicker than first stage of solids, and prob doesn't taste as good.
sj3starz
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM

My daughter HATED cereal too.

I had to "hide" the cereal in something that had a better flavor.

Once she caught on to that, it was all over! I started solids at 4 months and she stopped eating cereal completely (even hidden in something else) around 7 months. I wasn't going to force feed my child and make eating a horrible experience for her every single day. That is just mean.

mataya2011
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I mixed fruits in with Emilys oatmeal and she loves it.

CafeMom Tickers

Mommytorn
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM
My dd started eating baby food at 3 months as well and she hated the cereal..what I did was mixed I spoonful into her baby food for a week next week I did 2 spoonfuls... And by the time we got up to what you're supposed to put in it she ate it just find
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaGlitterBug
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Now that I think about it my youngest son loved oatmeal mixed with apple juice and a dash of cinnamon. But we started him at 6 months (no acid reflux).

I'm Jess...wife to Jared of 11 years...Mama of 4. 3ofmyown+1ofhis=4kids:   Amanda (sd) 12, Amethyst  9 (Pdd-Nos), Isaac 8 (Autism and Epilepsy) & Elijah 5.. I proudly breastfed Elijah until his 4th birthday when he completely self-weaned.  I support Nursing In Public and am anti-vaccines.

mommy425906
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Wow, I didn't think this group was so rude with replies when they don't agree with something. I got away from MC for this kind of stuff. Disappointing.

OP, imo feeding solids at 3 mos versus 4 mos is not cause for mass hysteria. When will he turn 4 mos btw? I would just talk to your ped and see what he/she says about his eating routine. As far as your mom you have to be firm and tell her to back off, you're the mom now & its your call.

( I almost always mixed fruits/veggies with my kids' cereals.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)