Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Parenting while still growing up

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:26 AM
  • 13 Replies

Frankly I feel like shit right now.  A couple years ago I got out of a mentally abusive, emotionally draining marriage.  I had the mother in law from hell, no support, I lost all my self esteem and developed an eating disorder for a time.  I entered a very deep suicidal depression I'm just now coming out of.  I'm trying to go to college this winter to study pblic relations.  I think I'd do good somewhere in politics.  I've never been to college though and I'm almost 26!  I really hate myself for letting so many things happen.  I'm not able to provide very well and I'm always afraid my son is gonna hate me like I hate my mother.  Just needed to vent I guess.  Thanks for reading.

frustrated

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittanyx22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:33 AM
Don't feel bad, momma! You did a great thing by getting out of that marriage! And you have a goal set - you know you want to go to college and you have an idea of what you want to do. Look at it this way - you're ONLY 26! When I was in college, there were people in their 40s (and older) i some of my classes! You're bettering yourself and your son. He won't hate you, he will see that you worked hard for the both of you!

PS - if you think you want to do something in politics, you might want to study political science, not PR. I'm not sure what exactly you want to do though, so your best bet is to talk to an advisor.
.Peaches.
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Why would your son hate you? Are you abusive or neglectful?

You do the best with the hand you've been dealt....as long as you keep dwelling on 'coulda, shoulda, woulda' you're going to be depressed. Move forward.

There are a lot of people who don't get a good start on life until later in life....you're only 26, that's still pretty young. They're called late bloomers, and the sooner you accept the fact that, hey, that may be you, the more at peace you'll feel.

No sense in beating yourself up about the things that have happened- the past is the past, and you need to leave it in the past. Move forward and build a better future for you and your son.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Don't focus on the past.

Just outline your goals and go get them! :)

Many people are starting college now, at all ages! Your son will be proud of you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Hugs.

Your past is gone, focus on the present and future. Going back to school is awesome!!

Don't beat yourself up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VictoriousTory
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Girl I have been there!!! I was in an abusive relationship, I didn't think I could do better for my son, which in turn influenced bad desicions... and I didn't start school until I was 28!!! I am very proud of you for sumoning the strength to leave that asshole and start a new life. You are very young in the grand scheme of things and think of it this way, it can only get better from here. Your son won't hate you... believe me... he will see you are doing everything you can to make his life awesome and while there might be some rough patches he will appriciate everything you do for him. I sufffer from being bi-polar... and it sucks... I have been dealing with it a long time. You get into these dark places in your mind and it feels like you just can't get out. I hope you are seeing a therapist and or on medication... because honestly it really helps. As much as you might think you can deal with it yourself sometimes you just can't. It's nothing to be ashamed of... Now its time to fr you to shine!!!! 

MistyMoo
by Amber on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM
So start making the changes in your life now. It's never too late to start. Your son won't hate you as long as you're doing the best you can to support and provide for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SourRoses
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM

so what if you are just now going to college, it is never too late and 26 is not old at all to start going back to school. the fact that you are planning for your future is what makes you a great mom and while things are hard now, it will pay off in the end. your son will love you for that and be proud that you got out of a bad relationship, and proud that you are getting well and healthy again. your son will be proud of you when you finish school and start your career. it is hard being a young mom i know; i was 17 when i had my first and i am just now finishing up school and i just turned 27. your son will not grow up to hate you if you give him love and support; and it seems like that is exactly what he is getting. good luck momma and you will do great in school :)

xomrs.chase
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM
*hugs*
Imo, we never stop growing, changing, and learning. My dad didn't go to college until his late 20s. He went at night and worked ft to provide for US. He still takes classes to keep up with Changing technology. (He is an electrician). He's 51 and just started another night class
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilMamaK
by Kaht on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM

::HUGS::

*~*Wifey To Tommy(2.4.11), Mommy to Allyana(7.5.08), StepMom to Aidan(6.5.07), & Our Angel Baby Jovanny(3.6.10)*~*

Clynn301
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Thank you ladies, it was nice to wake up to these comments this morning.  I really need to stop feeling sorry for myself

kiss

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)