Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

He's not eating!

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:09 AM
  • 14 Replies
My 3.5 yr old DS hasn't been eating this week! Usually, I wake him and dress him in the morning then feed him breakfast before DH takes him to school. Well recently, he says he's not hungry in the morning and whines until its time to leave.

I send him a fairly large lunch to school for snack and lunch. Usually, he will eat most of it. But every day this week he comes home and it's untouched. I make him sit at the table until he eats his lunch, and he does. But it takes him over an hour. And the whole time he's whining that his tummy hurts and he's not hungry.

Then dinner rolls around, and it's the same story! He's barely eating anything!

He's fine when it comes to playing or doing anything, but eating his "tummy hurts". I've tried letting him choose what's in his lunch and what to eat for other meals. And even if he chooses it's always the same.

What do I do? Is this a stage? A phase? Just keep rolling with it? Take him to the doctor?? I am lost here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MonicaAnne
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:12 AM
It's a phase my son did the same thing. The kids pedi said they will eat when there hungry all you can do is offer. He will snap out of it soon. This is the time of year my kids say there not really hungry cause of all the weather change. Heck just yesterday morning my DS (7) didn't eat breakfast. Everything will be fine just be patient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Its a stage. He's not starving, he's just not hungry. Just let him eat what he wants to eat, his appetite will pick up again soon.

My 3 year old DD had exactly 1 bite of her PB&J this afternoon, and drew in her applesauce. The only thing she did finish was her Capri Sun.

claddison
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Probably just a phase as the other moms said.
Also, he could be constipated. If he hasn't gone poo in a few days that could play a big part in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMomma1022
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM
My ds is doing the same thing right now. Fine to play but when it comes to eating he will eat breakfast no problems, but lunch and dinner he just kinda picks and will eat about half or less. I figure hes eating something and if he was super hungry he would tell me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crabtreemommy
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Phase!! Every pediatrician will tell you that if hes like that, just offer food and he will eat when ready. Just dont offer him candy and junk food. He will snap out and start eating again! 

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM
I have noticed my kids do this right before a growth spurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thanush
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM
I would just give his Pediatrician a call because he say his tummy hurts.
addiesmommy1109
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM
How is his output? Is he going to the bathroom well? That could be why the "tummy hurts" but my 3 year old does this all the time. Idk how she thrives sometimes lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
icn_mom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Ok, first off, how are his bowel movements? is he going regular? being bound up can cause you to "have a hurting tummy" when its time to eat, because there is no real room for food. if he is not constipated it could be a weather change thing. (not sure where your from but here in NH fall has come quick!), and sometimes children eat less come the fall/winter time. Are there any changes in routine, people in his life, any change in structure at home or school? Is he picking at his food? is he getting enough fluid? There are so many things this could be. is he dropping weight? does he appear more tired than usual? I am asking so many questions because I have dealt with this (on a much more severe spectrum and a lot younger) but I get concerned about it because of the road we have had to take. if you want to you can always inbox me!!

annas_momma
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM
My daughter did this every time she was having a growth spurt. If he keeps saying his tummy hurts I would take him to the doctor though.

Has he pooped good in the last few days?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)