Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms
My 3.5 yr old DS hasn't been eating this week! Usually, I wake him and dress him in the morning then feed him breakfast before DH takes him to school. Well recently, he says he's not hungry in the morning and whines until its time to leave.

I send him a fairly large lunch to school for snack and lunch. Usually, he will eat most of it. But every day this week he comes home and it's untouched. I make him sit at the table until he eats his lunch, and he does. But it takes him over an hour. And the whole time he's whining that his tummy hurts and he's not hungry.

Then dinner rolls around, and it's the same story! He's barely eating anything!

He's fine when it comes to playing or doing anything, but eating his "tummy hurts". I've tried letting him choose what's in his lunch and what to eat for other meals. And even if he chooses it's always the same.

What do I do? Is this a stage? A phase? Just keep rolling with it? Take him to the doctor?? I am lost here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:09 AM
Replies (11-14):
MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM
He poops daily, sometimes 2x.
Here in CA it's still super hot like summer.
No Changes at school or home.
Yes to picking. He just doesn't want to eat and will pick at even his fav foods or ignore them.
Yes to enough fluids.
Not dropping weight at all.
Yes to more tired than usual. He's been asking to nap and go to bed earlier than normal. Also in the mornings he does not want to get up for school. Usually, he will wake slowly, but once he's up- he's up.

Quoting icn_mom:

Ok, first off, how are his bowel movements? is he going regular? being bound up can cause you to "have a hurting tummy" when its time to eat, because there is no real room for food. if he is not constipated it could be a weather change thing. (not sure where your from but here in NH fall has come quick!), and sometimes children eat less come the fall/winter time. Are there any changes in routine, people in his life, any change in structure at home or school? Is he picking at his food? is he getting enough fluid? There are so many things this could be. is he dropping weight? does he appear more tired than usual? I am asking so many questions because I have dealt with this (on a much more severe spectrum and a lot younger) but I get concerned about it because of the road we have had to take. if you want to you can always inbox me!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
icn_mom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

He poops daily, sometimes 2x.
Here in CA it's still super hot like summer.
No Changes at school or home.
Yes to picking. He just doesn't want to eat and will pick at even his fav foods or ignore them.
Yes to enough fluids.
Not dropping weight at all.
Yes to more tired than usual. He's been asking to nap and go to bed earlier than normal. Also in the mornings he does not want to get up for school. Usually, he will wake slowly, but once he's up- he's up.

Quoting icn_mom:

Ok, first off, how are his bowel movements? is he going regular? being bound up can cause you to "have a hurting tummy" when its time to eat, because there is no real room for food. if he is not constipated it could be a weather change thing. (not sure where your from but here in NH fall has come quick!), and sometimes children eat less come the fall/winter time. Are there any changes in routine, people in his life, any change in structure at home or school? Is he picking at his food? is he getting enough fluid? There are so many things this could be. is he dropping weight? does he appear more tired than usual? I am asking so many questions because I have dealt with this (on a much more severe spectrum and a lot younger) but I get concerned about it because of the road we have had to take. if you want to you can always inbox me!!

Since he is getting enough fluids and does pick at food, I honestly wouldnt be concerned.. before growth spurts children tend to slow down, and before you know it they are eating you out of house and home!!! Until he stops taking enough fluid, isnt having bowel movements, and doesnt pick at all, I wouldnt worry about calling his doctor.. as far as the "my tummy hurts" it is typically because children learn when they say it they are not forced to eat.. good luck and dont stress! :)

kirstensmommie
by Joy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Offer him food, but I wouldn't make him eat it. If he is hungry he will eat, your son will not starve himself. If he gets a snack when he gets home cut it out so he'll be hungry at dinner. Most kids go through a stage where they don't want to eat.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:04 AM
My daughter wouldn't eat anything for 4 days after turning a year.......finally she started eating like a pig. She sometimes refuses food but I make her sit at the table until she eats, in order for her to get dessert she has to eat her food I never send her to bed hungry.

Try offering him food he'll eat leave things like crackers and cheese out for him he'll eat when he's ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)