Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

constant constipation UPNEW UPDATE

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

my youngest has had constant constipation since mid may and was in the hospital for a week while they checked every test they could to figure it out, they found he has a heart murmer, he couldn't regulate his body temperture but that's better that fixed itself after a month and a half. he has a small lump about 2 finger widths below his sternum idk what that is. they'v tried alementum formula and that worked for a couple weeks, it actuly gave him diareah but then he stopped pooping so now he's on alememtum and a medisin called Miralax and that works sortof, i have to give it to him in water or apple juice and give him only water or juice after until he poos but then he gets constipated after a bottle of formula. today he popped a blood vessel in his eye he was straining so hard.sunday it took Him 1 double dose and until 2:30pm to poo, today it took him 2 double doses of miralax and till 5:45 pm they said he should be pooing just fine on miralax. i'm soooooo confused and have done more tests on jericho's abdomin because he's on alementum and shouldnt be getting constipated. so now i have to wait for another poopy diaper and take it and jericho to his pedi. his pedi was extremly mad andn was making phone calls as i left the office.
i had to take him back to the hospital because his stomake was hard as a rock and he was screaming in pain. his stomake was full of gas and only released the gas after they stuck a supository up his bottom. the er doc (this time MUCH nicer and more helpful) sent a referal to his pedi for a gastrointerologisst and told me to give him straight prune juice until he has diareah and then start him back on his formula and miralax.   

Pedi says the rash is exema and had nothing to do with the miralax (even though it went away when i took him off the miralax). He also says him getting constipated with nothing but gas in him is normal and isnt to be worried about. He also says i should not be worried that Jericho isn't holding him slef up in a sitting position yet, or pulling himself up when holding my fingers, or pressing down into the floor wehn i hold him by the armpits....And there isnt anything to worry about with the mucus and black streaks and specks in his stools, or that he's still having hard stools and refusing to eat at times. Im supposed to make sure he eats at least 16 ounces of formula, but if he doesnt want to eat im not supposed to make him, and im not to give him juice and water as often throught the day to help him poop, as long as he poops every 5 days or more often thats fine.
but dr dube also said that a baby on alementum shouldnt be getting constipated :P
so basically i got no answer at all today. I was basically told that my 7 month old is being normal even though he's constipated while on medicin and formula that should give him diareah and he cant expell any gas in his system without help and he's not doing what he's supposed to for his age :(:(:(

He's been to a GI, they found nothing in his intestines, but a rim just inside his butthole and put him on Elecare for infants to make his going easier. His Pedi noticed his heart murmer is still there, he's keeping an eye on that, and the pedi noticed his head was enlarged, 99%, so he had an MRI, they found some fluid on his brain, his Pedi is monitoring him to see if it naturally goes down. He's had RSV 3 times in a row now and is coming down with another cold: stuffy, runny nose, bad cough and fever.

Jessi Tiger

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jordynsmom08
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM
Im so sorry! Poor boy! My DD had issues when she was younger and we had to do remedies but she grew out of it. I will definetly pray for the little man!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeakersmama
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:32 AM
What kind of formula is he on? Could that be the problem. And does he get rice cereal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Titana
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Poor thing!! I hope everything gets figured out and he starts feeling much better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eringlading
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Could he have a milk allergy? Not sure what alimentum consists of. My girls needed soy cause they couldn't handle regular formula. Hope he feels better soon. I had a milk allergy at 6yo and had the same symptoms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM
My DD had to be on gentlease formula. Made a world of difference. She gas been on miralax for 5 years now. But I have switched her to lactose free milk. And that is making a bigger difference. Enough to wear she doesn't need as much miralax.

Try him on soy. It may help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XSummersXmommyX
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM

My dd has constipation like that...and what ended up helping...not the miralax (its a temp fix)...not the apple juice...or the enema's.....but taking DAIRY out of my dd's diet (i also took her off gluten but the dairy is what REALLY effects the poo). I saw SUCH a difference!! My dd didnt have a normal BM (either SEVERE constipation or EXTREMELY runny paint-like poop) for almost 2 1/2 years....it wasn't until i took ALL DAIRY out of her diet did i see a change.

CHILDREN ESPECIALLY can have INTENSE dairy intolerance's WITHOUT HAVING AN ALLERGY....so you dont even really need to get a test...just  remove dairy for a week and see if there is ANY CHANGE.

Also..that lump could of been a HERNIEA...my friend's son had one when he was an infant. I dont recall how it was remedied but it was....and he had gotten it from CONSTIPATION....

I hope i helped a little. feel free to message me, i can also tell you some AWESOME alternatives to dairy milk (coconut or rice milk) and about some supplements taht help with digestion. <3 take care

TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

poor little guy I hope they find out what is wrong soon. Praying for your little man.

sj3starz
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM

That sounds awful! I'm sorry to hear that you are having to deal with such issues. You should be able to just be able to enjoy your kids.

I hope the gastro doctor helps and your family can get back to normal.

Jessibear2010
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Quoting squeakersmama:

What kind of formula is he on? Could that be the problem. And does he get rice cereal?

He was switched from Bmil to Enfamil Gentle ease at 2 months old, and then at 5 months old put on Alementum..

Alementum is a broken down protein so he doesnt have to digest, his body should easily absorb the nutrients and he should have diareah.

We first tried taking dairy out of my diet when he first showed signs of constipation because his dad is lactose in tolerant.

Also..that lump could of been a HERNIEA...my friend's son had one when he was an infant. I dont recall how it was remedied but it was....and he had gotten it from CONSTIPATION....

i'll ask his pedi about that thank you :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN