Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I feel like the worst mom!!!

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM
  • 4 Replies

OK so my 5 year old son is in Kindergarten this year. He told me 2 weeks ago that he felt "stupid" because he was behind the other kids. So i assured him that he wasnt stupid and I braught it up to the teacher. I asked her if there was anything that I could do at home to give him extra help or if he needed to take a special class. She assured me that he wasnt that far behind and that he would be getting a reading buddy 30 mins a week to help him a little more. OK fast forward to friday, he brings home a progress report type thing. It says that he is behind in EVERYTHING!!! Umm hello I asked 2 weeks ago for him to get some extra help. So I spent all weekend working on him with his letter, which we have been working on for over a year. I think he has dyslexia, it runs in my family so it doesnt really shock me. I am going to the principle on MOnday to see if they can test him and get him some extra help. I am just so frustrated I feel like a bad mom because I cant get him to learn his alphabet and letter sounds. I also feel horrible because I didnt really push the issue 2 weeks ago when he told me he was behind. I beleived the teacher. UGh... I just dont know what to do. He is not a stupid child its just like he cant retain the letters!!! Any advice???

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
prissypoptart
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Oh, poor guy. Both of my boys are special needs or delayed. Maybe there is an after school program he can go to for help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamacjohnson
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM

What I found helped my son learn to sound out letter (he has had speech therapy for 3 years now) is having him make his own flash cards.  I would write the letter or word, and then have him write it underneath. If he struggled, I let him write over mine. This helped him get familiar with the letters. Then we would take turns holding them up for each other. I would let him "teach" me. It helped build his confidence. 

Another thing I learned is to not get frustrated in front of him. I learned that the hard way. My son is in first grade this year, and he is still struggling with writing and speech.  So his confidence is definitely down. I try to encourage and show him that it is OK to not get it right off the bat. 

I am sure that you are not a bad mom. A bad mom wouldn't care how their child was doing. A bad mom is my son's birth mom, who abandoned him when she found out he needed speech therapy. 

Also, if you go to youtube, I bet there are videos for learning and stuff. 

Good luck, and I am sure he will do just fine! 

Fields456
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM
We had a lot of issues with my dd last ear in kindergarten with reading he was behind Now she is in first grade and right on target but still has some issues and we think its because she is being lazy and does t want to try I just had a conference with her teacher And she said she has notice it too if she gets behind again they are going to put her in a reading group and in school tutoring

Sorry the teacher wast a help hopefully y'all can figure it all out so he can get caught up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AJsMommy1105
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM

My husband and I both have been working with him. We work on it after school and on the weekends. We have found a few interactive websites for him, as well as some videos. The problem is one minute he gets it and the next he totaly forgets. I do get frustrated at times so I have to walk away for a minute. I know it isnt his fault. It just bothers me that his teacher doesnt seem to really care. She brushed it off like it wasnt a problem, but the further ahead they get in school the more behind HE gets.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN