Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I think my 6 day old is constipated!

Posted by   + Show Post

Here is DJ! He was born last Friday weighing 4.7lbs. He was very healthy so after 3 days we were discharged. Normally, each time he eats he poops. He hasn't pooped since Tuesday and I am a little concerned! He is grunting and pushing but no luck. We have our first visit with the pediatrician tomorrow but this is my first baby so I wanted to know if their were any home remedies for constipation....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
Ladysigma07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM
I tried the Q-tip and Vaseline and it worked! He was able to pass gas and poop! I am still going to speak to the pediatrician tomorrow!

Quoting PeaceMuch:

A q-tip would work also. And yeah I forgot to mention putting vaseline on it.

Quoting Ladysigma07:

We are doing both but he is getting more formula then breast milk. He is getting as much breast milk as I can pump which is not enough for all of his feedings. Outside of that its formula. I didn't think of using a thermometer. I just read another article that said to use a Q-tip covered in Vaseline.

Quoting PeaceMuch:

Does he breastfeed? Its normal for them to go a few days. You could try sticking a thermometer up his anus to try help? That's what our pedi suggested once and it worked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladysigma07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Someone actually pm me and told me he was too young for karo syrup. He is currently on similar but also vomits very often! I will see when we see the doc but the Q-tip with Vaseline worked and he looks so relieved....

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Karo wouldn't be good for a 6 day old.

The thermometer is good with vasoline but only the tip.

It's normal to go a few days without poop unless you can see he is in visible pain. Sometimes formula with too much iron (like similac) can cause a problem but I wouldn't switch him yet.

Quoting claddison:

you could also try mixing in a small drop of light Karo syrup mixed in his bottle of formula.  that always helped my little ones when they were constipated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladysigma07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Thanks mama!

Quoting MamaLioness2012:

When I was nursing ds would go 4-5 days without pooping, made me nervous too but I guess they jut absorb everyhing in breastmilk so well they don't need to poop. My doctor told me it was good. My niece went a week and a half and nothing helped...not even a q-tip! I would definetly try the q-tip with Vaseline though and if he's ready to go he will...if it doesn't work...well, what goes in MUST come out eventually! Chin up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epaolini
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM

are you breast feeding or formula.... if formula on a bottle try a tad bit of juice highly diluted

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh good!

Quoting Ladysigma07:

I tried the Q-tip and Vaseline and it worked! He was able to pass gas and poop! I am still going to speak to the pediatrician tomorrow!

Quoting PeaceMuch:

A q-tip would work also. And yeah I forgot to mention putting vaseline on it.

Quoting Ladysigma07:

We are doing both but he is getting more formula then breast milk. He is getting as much breast milk as I can pump which is not enough for all of his feedings. Outside of that its formula. I didn't think of using a thermometer. I just read another article that said to use a Q-tip covered in Vaseline.

Quoting PeaceMuch:

Does he breastfeed? Its normal for them to go a few days. You could try sticking a thermometer up his anus to try help? That's what our pedi suggested once and it worked.

mcvencil
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Try looking up "infant massage." My son would get periodically constipated as a newborn and my mother-in-law (who believes in a lot of wholistic healing stuff) took his kees and pushed them up to his tummy lightly and then brought them down. She did it for a few minutes and later on, he had a BM. He actually likes the movement. Might want to give that a look up :) Try also rubbing his belly in clockwise little circles while applying a small amount of pressure. All of these things help the bowels get things moving through. 

Either way, think of it this way: he's new to this whole eating thing. If you're too concerned about it, call your pediatrician. Good luck!

thanush
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Give him a half teaspoon of maple syrup I did that when my DD was a baby and got constipated..
Another thing to do is give an ounce of sugar water ( about half teaspoon of sugar). Sugar is a natural stool softener. I still do the sugar thing with my almost 3 yr old and it works great. When she was a baby, I only knew about the maple syrup so that's what I did.
momtotwo08
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM
My son has dealt with constipation since he was born. We did the thermometer technique many many times and it always worked. I started putting Karo in his bottle at about a month.
nerdymom28
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Omg he's so tiny!! I just had a 9 pound baby...I can't imagine having one so small! He's adorable!!

Constipation in a baby that young isn't all too uncommon. Even going 3-4 days without pooping wouldn't hurt them. My baby (3 months old now) went a week without pooping at one point, so her doctor suggested giving her diluted prune juice. 1/2 juice, 1/2 water dilution. Worked like a charm!

CrimsonGrace
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I seen already where you got him to go, but just FYI for future reference, never give Karo syrup. This is outdated information, it has been found in some cases to cause botulisum (sp) which is the same thing that raw honey can cause before one year. What you done is the best remedy! When he is older a little juice will do the trick!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN