Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

2 babies dead in my neighborhood *edited*

Posted by   + Show Post
At 3:21 this afternoon, our local fire dept got a call "house on fire, 2 kids inside, babysitter jumped out the window". By the time they got to the house at 3:23, the house was engulfed in flames. They found a 4 year old child dead on the scene. A 3 year old child was taken to a local hospital, where they were pronounced DOA. The babysitter is in critical condition at another local hospital.

My thoughts go out to the families of the babies & the babysitter.

Edit-apparently the babysitter was the kids' aunt. Also no cause determined as of yet (so far that I know of). The window was a 2nd story window. The aunt/babysitter is still in critical condition.

Will edit again if I get new details.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Replies (101-104):
mistync
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM
From the articles I read, they were her niece and nephew. Some articles say she jumped from the third story window,some say second story, onto a concrete pation. The police had to carry her to the front yard because she was crumpled on the ground. Also the articles say that the fire is believed to have started on the first(some say second) floor so a good story or two below where she jumped from. As quick and hot as the witness described the fire spreading it sounds like she got trapt and cut off from the kids. Its so easy to judge when we don't have the details/facts.

Quoting Tink0711:

OMG! I just threw up a little. How could you leave your own child & their cousin (your niece or nephew) in a burning house? Now I really blame her!

Quoting mommieof3_752:

OK. The 2 kids were cousins. So im assuming the women that jumped out the window was the mother of one of the children. OMG that makes it that much worse.....her own baby...dear god. They said the investigation is still ongoing.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

What the hell was she doing at 3 on the afternoon that it took her that long to realize the damn house was on fire......The whole thing just DOES NOT sound right. I will check the sites and get back to you on the cause of the fire.

Quoting Tink0711:

They think it started at around 3:13pm. I don't know if they know a cause yet. I'm trying to do a million things this week, & haven't had time to check the news sites.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

Have they found out how the fire started yet?? I just dont understand how a fire could spread that fast unless it was like you said a grease fire or the furnace..or it has some sort of exsellerent. And what time of day did this happen??

Quoting Tink0711:

Even saying "call 911; babies inside" doesn't take much brain power.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

Its a very sad situation but if you can think enough to get yourself out you can think enough to tell someone that there are kids in there. Maybe she is not to blame...but there are certainly things that she should have done that she did not. I just do not understand how she could have been so incoherent  but managed to open a window and climb out but could not manage to call the cops or tell the contractor that their were babies in the house.

Quoting Tink0711:

I know the contractor & I talked to him yesterday. He said the "aunt" was incoherent when he got there. He didn't know anyone else was in the house til the kids' mother came tearing down the street, screaming that her babies were inside. He then tried to find which rooms they were in to get to them through the window, but it was too late; there was too much smoke & fire coming from those winows.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

I am the one that found the news recording. I agree that the family deserves our prayers. And I and every other mother here has prayed for them. Now with that said ,since you seem to think all of us are heartless, I watched that news report and that "AUNT", crawled out the window and stood in the front yard. She did not call the police, she did not run to a neighbor's house frantic, she did not try to save those babies. If the kids rooms were at the back of the house....wud you not attempt to break and enter through their bedroom window. Or at least break the glass and tell the kids to jump to you. All Im saying is I would have been the first one to call the police and they would have found me either in the house with those babies, or At their bedroom windows....not standing the front yard like a fu*king idiot. Im sorry but like I said b4 no one is going to make me and the other moms that agree with me change our point of view. No one in here bashes where bashing is not deserved. Anyone who does not attempt to save a childs life deserves to be bashed. If you stand by and do nothing while 2 children burn to death in a house all alone you deserve to be bashed, and if you expect no one to say anything or judge you, your an idiot.

Quoting raye-chan:

I don't really honestly care if the babysitter was an aunt or what. What I'm saying is we still don't know the full story. We only know more details as to what happened. I don't get why everyone seems so dead set on hating on the lady when no one was actually there when it happened. No one knows exactly what went on, what was happening, etc. All I'm saying is rather than looking to blame someone, just pray for the family and be done with it. 

Quoting Tink0711:

I get what you're saying BUT another mom on here found a video with more details & it turns out, the babysitter was appaerntly the kids' aunt. How do you leave your sister's (or brother's) kids in a burning house? And how do you NOT at least call 911 (the contractor working across the street called when he noticed smoke coming from the house, about 8 minutes after the fire started).

Quoting raye-chan:

(I hope this won't get me bashed on but...)

Rather than everyone saying they're mad at the babysitter and such, why not put aside your anger and pray for the family that lost everything and their children? Everyone responds differently in all kinds of emergencies and it's no one's place to be judging why the babysitter did what she did. No one knows the full story yet and even then, it's no one's place to judge what happened. 

Just pray for the family and be done at that. The girl probably feels bad enough now. She doesn't deserve to hated nor bashed upon like the way she is. Pray for the family and the two little lost souls. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommieof3_752
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I also read that the medical examiner said the kids died of smoke inhalation. So there was no flames in their rooms obviously, because there were no burns to the bodies. 

Quoting Tink0711:

OMG! I just threw up a little. How could you leave your own child & their cousin (your niece or nephew) in a burning house? Now I really blame her!

Quoting mommieof3_752:

OK. The 2 kids were cousins. So im assuming the women that jumped out the window was the mother of one of the children. OMG that makes it that much worse.....her own baby...dear god. They said the investigation is still ongoing.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

What the hell was she doing at 3 on the afternoon that it took her that long to realize the damn house was on fire......The whole thing just DOES NOT sound right. I will check the sites and get back to you on the cause of the fire.

Quoting Tink0711:

They think it started at around 3:13pm. I don't know if they know a cause yet. I'm trying to do a million things this week, & haven't had time to check the news sites.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

Have they found out how the fire started yet?? I just dont understand how a fire could spread that fast unless it was like you said a grease fire or the furnace..or it has some sort of exsellerent. And what time of day did this happen??

Quoting Tink0711:

Even saying "call 911; babies inside" doesn't take much brain power.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

Its a very sad situation but if you can think enough to get yourself out you can think enough to tell someone that there are kids in there. Maybe she is not to blame...but there are certainly things that she should have done that she did not. I just do not understand how she could have been so incoherent  but managed to open a window and climb out but could not manage to call the cops or tell the contractor that their were babies in the house.

Quoting Tink0711:

I know the contractor & I talked to him yesterday. He said the "aunt" was incoherent when he got there. He didn't know anyone else was in the house til the kids' mother came tearing down the street, screaming that her babies were inside. He then tried to find which rooms they were in to get to them through the window, but it was too late; there was too much smoke & fire coming from those winows.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

I am the one that found the news recording. I agree that the family deserves our prayers. And I and every other mother here has prayed for them. Now with that said ,since you seem to think all of us are heartless, I watched that news report and that "AUNT", crawled out the window and stood in the front yard. She did not call the police, she did not run to a neighbor's house frantic, she did not try to save those babies. If the kids rooms were at the back of the house....wud you not attempt to break and enter through their bedroom window. Or at least break the glass and tell the kids to jump to you. All Im saying is I would have been the first one to call the police and they would have found me either in the house with those babies, or At their bedroom windows....not standing the front yard like a fu*king idiot. Im sorry but like I said b4 no one is going to make me and the other moms that agree with me change our point of view. No one in here bashes where bashing is not deserved. Anyone who does not attempt to save a childs life deserves to be bashed. If you stand by and do nothing while 2 children burn to death in a house all alone you deserve to be bashed, and if you expect no one to say anything or judge you, your an idiot.

Quoting raye-chan:

I don't really honestly care if the babysitter was an aunt or what. What I'm saying is we still don't know the full story. We only know more details as to what happened. I don't get why everyone seems so dead set on hating on the lady when no one was actually there when it happened. No one knows exactly what went on, what was happening, etc. All I'm saying is rather than looking to blame someone, just pray for the family and be done with it. 

Quoting Tink0711:

I get what you're saying BUT another mom on here found a video with more details & it turns out, the babysitter was appaerntly the kids' aunt. How do you leave your sister's (or brother's) kids in a burning house? And how do you NOT at least call 911 (the contractor working across the street called when he noticed smoke coming from the house, about 8 minutes after the fire started).

Quoting raye-chan:

Rather than everyone saying they're mad at the babysitter and such, why not put aside your anger and pray for the family that lost everything and their children? Everyone responds differently in all kinds of emergencies and it's no one's place to be judging why the babysitter did what she did. No one knows the full story yet and even then, it's no one's place to judge what happened. 

Just pray for the family and be done at that. The girl probably feels bad enough now. She doesn't deserve to hated nor bashed upon like the way she is. Pray for the family and the two little lost souls. 

mstkn.identity
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM
I understand why everyone blames her, hell part of me does too. But has anyone been in a traumatic situation like this?

This past April when my folks and son got in a horrible wreck. The car landed on the drivers side. Side my dad and son were on. My mom reacted without thinking. She was in shock. She climbed out her window and was carried to the curb. She didnt think to get my son or check on him. All she could think was i need to get out of the car. Someone else (a bystander) climbed in the car and checked on my son and got him out. Yes at one point before the bystander got to my son my mom did start screamin "the baby." But only because she heard him screaming.

We do not know why that babysitter (aunt) did what she did. No one may ever know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kerrypear
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Beautifully said !! Well done, could not have said it more diplomatically than tht.

Quoting raye-chan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN