Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 babies dead in my neighborhood *edited*

Posted by   + Show Post
At 3:21 this afternoon, our local fire dept got a call "house on fire, 2 kids inside, babysitter jumped out the window". By the time they got to the house at 3:23, the house was engulfed in flames. They found a 4 year old child dead on the scene. A 3 year old child was taken to a local hospital, where they were pronounced DOA. The babysitter is in critical condition at another local hospital.

My thoughts go out to the families of the babies & the babysitter.

Edit-apparently the babysitter was the kids' aunt. Also no cause determined as of yet (so far that I know of). The window was a 2nd story window. The aunt/babysitter is still in critical condition.

Will edit again if I get new details.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
Tink0711
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Me too. I would cover them with my own body to prevent them from being burned.

Quoting KarmaP2:

Id rather die with my kids than live without them. How sad :(

Quoting eringlading:

I know a couple who escaped without their kids. They died. I could never leave a burning building without my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarmaP2
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
If i were the parents of those kids i wouldnt be able to look at the babysitter. I with all my heart wouldnt want to be mad at the babysitter but i couldnt forgive her either.

Quoting Tink0711:

I kinda wanna be mad at the babysitter in this situation. She jumped out a window, leaving the kids inside. Sorry, if I have a sitter, I pay them to keep my kids safe. Plus 911 call came from the cell phone of the contractor working across the street who saw smoke.

Quoting KarmaP2:

Quoting eringlading:

I know a couple who escaped without their kids. They died. I could never leave a burning building without my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngeLnChainZ
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My thoughts also go out to the first responders... People never realize how traumatic something like this is for us as well.

I volunteer to save lives; What do you do?

Tink0711
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Exactly! If neighbors were seeing smoke at 3:21, the fire had to have started a while before that. She had plenty of time to either try to put it out or call 911 & get the kids to safety.

Quoting KarmaP2:

If i were the parents of those kids i wouldnt be able to look at the babysitter. I with all my heart wouldnt want to be mad at the babysitter but i couldnt forgive her either.

Quoting Tink0711:

I kinda wanna be mad at the babysitter in this situation. She jumped out a window, leaving the kids inside. Sorry, if I have a sitter, I pay them to keep my kids safe. Plus 911 call came from the cell phone of the contractor working across the street who saw smoke.

Quoting KarmaP2:

Quoting eringlading:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngeLnChainZ
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM
3 moms liked this

It's easy to say what you would do in a situation like this, but until you've been through it you really can't say for sure.

While I would do everything I could to get my son out (My training as a FF helps tremendously) when your fight or flight kicks in, a lot of that control of what you should or could do turns into something you can't really control anymore.

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting KarmaP2:

Quoting eringlading:

AngeLnChainZ
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Not true, not true at all.

Quoting Tink0711:

Exactly! If neighbors were seeing smoke at 3:21, the fire had to have started a while before that. She had plenty of time to either try to put it out or call 911 & get the kids to safety.

Quoting KarmaP2:

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting KarmaP2:

Quoting eringlading:

Tink0711
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM
They interviewed the one fireman who was first response, & he had just gotten the news about the child who was pronounced DOA. He broke down while talking to the news crews.

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

My thoughts also go out to the first responders... People never realize how traumatic something like this is for us as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tink0711
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM
How? A fire doesn't just get so out of control it guts a house in 2 mins (except maybe a grease fire or if the furnace blew up).

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting KarmaP2:

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting KarmaP2:

Quoting eringlading:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngeLnChainZ
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You would be surprised at how fast a fire can spread and get out of control. It takes only a matter of seconds.

Quoting Tink0711:

How? A fire doesn't just get so out of control it guts a house in 2 mins (except maybe a grease fire or if the furnace blew up).

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting KarmaP2:

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting KarmaP2:

Quoting eringlading:

Tink0711
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids come first. I will always save them before myself. If I can't, then I am prepared to die with them.

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

It's easy to say what you would do in a situation like this, but until you've been through it you really can't say for sure.

While I would do everything I could to get my son out (My training as a FF helps tremendously) when your fight or flight kicks in, a lot of that control of what you should or could do turns into something you can't really control anymore.

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting KarmaP2:

Quoting eringlading:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)