Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you who stay home..

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM
  • 41 Replies

I know that for most people this is really personal, so please dont comment if you dont wish to be a part of it.  This is information that would be really helpful to me, I am not looking for negative responses and what nots..

SO (we'll be married November 25, 2012) and I keep going back and forth about my staying home.. I have about 10 classes left to complete my bachelor's degree and since I need three more years of schooling besides that he wants me to quit my job, I have kind of already agreed to quit after the holidays, but I am soo scared.  Financially I dont know that we would make it, he says we would have no problem, and reflecting on his paycheck we SHOULD have no problem.. I amaware that it is going ot be a scarifice and I need to finish my bachelor's to move on to the next stage of my life.. but how do ya'll do it? I have a 5 yo and he is in Kindergarten so I would have all day to go to classes, that is fine, I will have more time to cook, clean and do laundry.. However Iwill probably have to give up things like going to the salon every week, and going clothes shopping every week, eating out at nice restaurants and what not.. How do I mentally prepare for that?

Thanks for the input ladies!

by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gealach
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM
4 moms liked this

Make a budget based on his income alone and start living on that.

Put whatever you make into savings.

See if it works

TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I have NEVER went to the salon every week or did clothes shopping every week we very very rarely go out to nice restaurants we don't go out to the movies unless my mom is down visiting so she can watch  him ect.

Titana
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Make a budget and stick to it. Things are right here but we make it work with me at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Titana
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Tight lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I am going back to school full time after being home with the kids for 7 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VictoriousTory
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Well... you will miss the shopping and the salon and whatnot for little bit... but then you kinda just move on you know? I have found other things to occupy my time and tried some realllyyyy yummy recipes for dinner.... I don't even like to eat out much anymore because I LIKE my cooking and its cheaper... When I go out now I can['t believe how expensive it can be!!! I also don't go to the mall unless its for a present... I avoid the clothing and shoe ailse at target...And I don't get fast food or starbucks... I wait till I get home to eat and bring my own coffee mug with me...  I would also try what PP said about trying to start living on just his paycheck and put the rest away... see if you can do it. 

cowboysgirl2810
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Of course, start budgeting now for his income. That way the sudden drop isn't a shock.

As for the "adjusting to sacrifice" decide, what's more important, your degree and as you said moving to the next step in life, or shopping/salons and fancy food? IMO, it should be an easy decision.

We are a single income home, and we make it work. Everyso often DH will pull an extra shift so we can have a lil extra cash that check to do something fun, or if we need something extra. But we manage on a tight budget.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luisa621
by Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Thanks so much for the input ladies. We have had planned to live on his budget for a few months, but our wedding is next month and right after that is christmas.. and I go back to school in January, so we may not have the opportunity to do that, though I wish we could so that I could feel better about this whole thing.

Bknotnobody
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't. Mainly because if you have such a large gap of unemployment in your résumé history it could come back to bite you in the butt. I'd at least work part time. I'm biased though because I like having my own income and knowing if forever isn't real that I'll be okay and won't have to stress money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Like you said, you have to make sacrifices to get where you want to be, and if you have to give up luxuries for a little while, is that really such a bad thing? Its not impossible, people do it everyday. I can't tell you the last time I even went shopping for anything for myself because right now, we just can't afford it.

I don't know that there's any 'mental prepwork' that you have to do other than just accepting that's the way things are. These are not things that are impossible to live without, seriously. What would happen if your soon-to-be lost his job tomorrow and you guys have to live on just your income? You'd accept it and do the best you can.

There are a lot of ladies in here who WISH they could afford the luxuries that you have, hell, even once a YEAR. Most of us in here are struggling just to keep the lights on.

Bottom line, you do what you have to do to get where you need to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)