Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

HELPPP PLEASE!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

OK soo I am in need of some advice... my sister was breastfeeding her sone but had to go to the emergancy room the other night due to severe shoulder pain come to find out she was just having severe muscle spasms and the doctor proscribed her flexareal which is a muscle relaxer and vicoden and told her that she absolutely could not breast feed while on these medications... well her husband researched and said that they said the effects of an infant breastfeeding while the mother was taking the flexareal and it causeing any harm to the baby was inconclusive and that the with the perscribed amount of vicoden it isn't strong enough to make its way into the breast milk... well she asked me earlier if i would help her pump so she could have some bottles made and when i said no i refuse because i don't find it right because the medications you are taking and how you were told not to breast feed and she said that it is her choice it is her baby that i should just help her and got really upset and mad and is now refusing to talk to me... was i in the wrong should i have helped her?? i just don't see it healthy or right subjecting an innocent child to that if you were told not to do it... advice please!!!

by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvmybug
by Amanda on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

i wouldn't do it! that could be possibly harmful to the baby! what is she thinking?!!!

ShineBright968
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM
You were in the right. It doesn't matter how much pain medicine your sister is taking, it can still harm her child over a period of the time and if she suddenly stops, the baby can have withdrawals. Eventually your sister will come to her senses. If the doctor said not to do something, don't do it. She should have not listened to the internet because it is not a doctor. The professionals know what they are talking about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesselswick
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM
I'll be one to say I bf'd after surgery and with pain meds and was told it was fine. Very little if any pain medication crosses into the milk, your body is a great filter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
treasure1212
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
You should check with the breast feeding group . They know a lot about medications and breast feeding . I had surgery whill nursing my dd who was 4 months old at the time and I was still able to nurse while taking percoset. Drs don't generally do research when telling nursing mothers that they have to stop nursing . But there are a lot of medications that don't effect baby . Drs tend to say not to nurse as a default to save their own ass. ( pardon my language) .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassie2115
by Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I was told it depends on the medication. I had percocet and ibuprofin after c-section and the Dr's were okay with me BFing. And I was taking 2 percocet every 4 hours and a large amount of ibuprofin every 6 hours (per the dr/nurse's order) and a week after I was on a blood pressure med after having eclamptic seizures and they still said I was fine to bf.

Trixie1313
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Thank you for all the advice momma's I am not so much worried about the vicoden (hydrocodone/acetametaphine) as I am with the flexareal (sp) because that is the only one he was very admit about her not breast feeding with thats why I am still so hesitant about it.

LilMamaK
by Kaht on Oct. 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM
I would of helped her either. You did tge right thing. There is a reason why the doctors told her not to bf.
StoneColdKiller
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM
I was on pain meds when I was breast feeding my son, I had broken my leg 2 days before giving birth. Anyways the doctors told me its was okay to breast feed on them. They gave me the pain killers before I even had my son however they didn't work while I was pregnant so I just suffered after taking it once.

But your not wrong in not helping her if you feel this isn't right.
ProudMommy51006
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 7:37 PM
You aren't wrong... I took percocet and ibuprofen after surgery while nursing my son... But I dont know about the muscle relaxer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddiesmommy5
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM

You did the right thing in standing up in what you believe in, that could be very harmful to the baby. I am also wondering why the dr would tell her to take something that she could not continue to breast feed while on. Is she really committed to bfing? could she just tough it out so she could still safely nurse?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)