Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How much for prescription?!!

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM
  • 12 Replies

Just went to the pharmacy to get dd's prescription for her bladder infection since the one we've been giving her since Friday is not the right one (that's a whole nother rant)....$320 AFTER insurance covered $70!!!!??!!!! I told her straight out I can't afford that - We have about $50 to our name right now. Just can't catch a break. Just when I think we'll get ahead (or even break even) more bills come up. Finally should have all dr bills paid off this month and now we'll have another $200 just for the office visit last Friday, then she needs a follow up in 2 weeks. Plus the $320 prescription on top of the $20 we've already spent on prescriptions. Soooo frustrating!! Guess I'll have to start picking up more hours and have less time for school work just so we can come close to breaking even.

The lady at the pharmacy did say the pharmacist would call the dr and see if there was a less expensive alternative. My grandma offered to pay for it since it's a health issue thing, but I hate doing that. It's so frustrating to not even be able to afford a prescription. Ugh!

Sorry, just needed to vent.

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChancesMommy07
by Jessica on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

They just need to call. There is likely something that comes in generic that she can take its place and cost substantially less. My husband takes medicine for gout. His original prescription was over $400 after insurance. I immediately called the Dr and they called in an alternative medicine that cost $4. Dr's don't always think about how much what they are prescribing costs so they don't always think to write for something that is financially doable.

busymom64064
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

They just need to call. There is likely something that comes in generic that she can take its place and cost substantially less. My husband takes medicine for gout. His original prescription was over $400 after insurance. I immediately called the Dr and they called in an alternative medicine that cost $4. Dr's don't always think about how much what they are prescribing costs so they don't always think to write for something that is financially doable.

This

Cassie2115
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I'm sure hoping there is a generic. I have it figured out that we can pay for it, as long as we all the money that is owed to us in the next week. Or I have a couple bills I can push off for a little while, until we get paid again. It just sucks. I can't believe that a med for a bladder infection can be so much.

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

ChancesMommy07
by Jessica on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Name brand meds have a tendency to be really pricey. I always tell my dr to make sure that he writes for a generic. And if by some chance they can't change the prescription then its possible to only fill half of the script at at time. That buys you a little more breathing room to come up with the other half. I've had plenty of patients who have done this when money was tight.

Quoting Cassie2115:

I'm sure hoping there is a generic. I have it figured out that we can pay for it, as long as we all the money that is owed to us in the next week. Or I have a couple bills I can push off for a little while, until we get paid again. It just sucks. I can't believe that a med for a bladder infection can be so much.

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

Mami2oneboy
by Sara on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM
I'm sure there's a generic, I have been prescribed $200 stuff in the past, and when they call back the dr for a generic they switched for one the insurance covered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassie2115
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Got the generic for $77, but walgreens also has a savings card for $35/yr (for family) that brought the cost down to $22 :) so got prescription plus a years worth of reduced prescriptions for $57! Made me feel so much better and silly for having a complete meltdown.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
__PinK__
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM

What med was it??

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Glass you got it for less!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cassie2115
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I don't think I was actually told what it was, but got the generic equivalent. It's something for the abnormal bladder infection.

Quoting __PinK__:

What med was it??

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:22 PM
So glad you got something less expensive!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)