Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

DD and kindergarten

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I send her now or wait another year?

Options:

Send her next year

Wait another year

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

My dd turned 4 on September 9th. she's in her second year of preschool. The cut off here in oregon is september 1st for kindergarten. I was going to just push her ahead and have her start kindergarten next year but now im not sure. she is extremely smart. Can do simple math, count to 40, can do simple addition, knows most letters upper and lower case and sounds, knows all her shapes, knows her colors, can write her name and is extremely verbal. Also she is very social and is one of the most popular kids in her class. I have a neice in kindgarten right now and i didnt realize how hard it is. Theyve only been going for 3 months and are already expected to write sentences. I just dont know what the right decision is. If I wait another year im going to try and send her to a private kindgarten and then public kindergarten. Or should i just push her forward. Any other moms going through the same thing? what are your thoughts?

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
erin708
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM
I would wait. My dd misses the cutoff by two weeks and ppl are asking me if I will put her in. I say no cause she's prob not ready. But u know ur daughter. Talk to the school and see if she can be evaluated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I would keep her in preschool another year just for her to gain the social/emotional maturity that is needed for kindergarten.  DD went when she was 5 (march 6, 2006) and was behind socially due to us not being able to afford preschool.  You can do a private kindergarten if they have a later deadline and then put her in pubic first grade the next year

Chibi_Kitten
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM

That seems rather high expectations for such little ones. Granted, my 4yo is in Transition Kindergarten, basically a fancier way of saying full time preschool. lol I'll have to check with the kindergarten teachers but either the school district you're in has unreasonably high expectations or mine has unreasonably low ones!

In TK, my daughter is expected to leave the end of the year knowing/recognizing all letters of the alphabet, both upper and lower case, be able to count to twenty, recognize numbers up to ten, sing the alphabet and know the sounds each letter makes and be able to write her first and last name. The TK teachers will challenge the kids who are excelling but those are the basic guidelines from the packet we received at the beginning of the year.

jessi19
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Thanks for the replies! Im so confused as to what to do! I plan to speak with her preschool teacher about this tomorrow

jessi19
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM

bump

TexasWife
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

My son turns 5 december 31st. I have him in pre-k. I think it is nice. I think they "grow up" a lot closer to their 5th birthday. Give her that time or you could be looking at having to make her go to bridge(pre- 1st grade)

datssumsheet
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM

My son turned 5 in August and started a couple days after his bday and has done great.  He never had issues and considering your daughter is in her 2nd year of prek i am sure she will be more than ready.  Evan is now in 3rd grade and continues to make honor roll. 

jessi19
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

bump

jessi19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)