Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Desserts for Thanksgiving.........What.......??

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM
  • 3 Replies

Are you all planning on making for Thanksgiving dessert?

This is what I am attempting to make rightknow. It is actually cooling off at the moment:

http://quick-dish.tablespoon.com/2011/08/04/saltine-cracker-toffee/

Saltine Cracker Toffee

Saltine Cracker Toffee
Rated 5.0 Stars
12345Rated 0 Stars
(1)
5 PRINT

The best recipes, in my opinion, are family recipes that are tried and true.

My Grandma Peterson was a chocoholic and her house was always stocked with boxes of chocolate and chocolate ice cream bars in the freezer. Everyone knew that if you wanted to get on her good side your best bet was to bring her some kind of chocolate treat.

Although she is no longer with us, this Saltine Cracker Toffee recipe is one of her famous recipes that she made often. I recently rediscovered this recipe, written in her handwriting, in my box of recipes.

Easy Toffee Recipe

At first the thought of toffee made from saltine crackers seems a little strange, but trust me when I say the crackers provide the perfect crunch and saltiness. They’re barely detectable hidden in a layer of toffee and topped with melted chocolate.

Start off by layering saltine crackers in an even layer on a cookie sheet.

Recipe for Toffee

Next, bring brown sugar and butter to a boil to make your toffee and pour it over the saltine crackers. After letting it cook in the oven for a couple of minutes it should look all bubbly like this:

How to Make Toffee Bars

Then spread a thick layer of melted chocolate all over the crackers.

Baked Toffee Bars Recipe

Grandma Peterson liked to add chopped pecans on top, but I prefer mine without. Get ready to bite into sweet toffee with a salty secret inside. Your friends and family will never believe there are actual saltine crackers hidden in this yummy toffee recipe!

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
busymom64064
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Although.......mine didn't get as bubbly as the picture lol. Hopefully it turns out okay :-)

misslopez1990
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

wow that is really cool. on an everyday basis i would never think to use the crackers for this!

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM
I am.making apple pie and a berry pie
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN