Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

breastfeeding problems :(

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM
  • 23 Replies
So, my baby girl is 6 weeks old now, and recently it seems like when I breastfeed her, she's never satisfied, no matter how much she eats. So I'm constantly feeding her, and my nipples are starting to get really sore from feeding all the time. A lot of the time I have to give her a bottle after a few attempts of feeding on the breast, and wondering if its even worth it to keep trying to breastfeed. Anyone else have the same problem? Is there anything I could do to prevent this??
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
freshmom88
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Please go to the breastfeeding support group here on CM!! U can get soooo much info and help. They can tell u exactly what to do!

To me it honestly sounds like a growth spurt. It will pass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chelsea1010
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyParent
by Amy on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Agreed!

Quoting freshmom88:

Please go to the breastfeeding support group here on CM!! U can get soooo much info and help. They can tell u exactly what to do!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dcn2010
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Check for local breast feeding groups in your area. I'm in Texas and my WIC clinic offered free lactation help. They are lactation nurses and mine helped me with my son. I thought I was doing it all wrong but turns out he was just latching in wrong!!! Ill admit it was a bit weird another woman touching my breast lol but omg was she a lifesaver.
JoeMax
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Sounds like the six week growth spurt. She's sending your body signals that she is ready for more milk, if you stick it out for the next week or so she should get back to her routine. Both of my boys did this too, and they did it periodically through the first year. You can use lanshino for the soreness, it works pretty well. Hope this helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM
6 weeks is a HUGE growth spurt!! And I PROMISE it's gets better real soon! No more bottles, they're most likely messing up her latch which is causing your sore nipples. Your body won't know how much to keep making if you top her off with bottles, so if she still seems hungry, stick her back on. All that matters is diaper count. If she's having atleast 6 diapers (poop counts as 2) then she is getting plenty! Hang in there mama, once you hit 8 weeks it really does get much easier!
Come on over to the Breastfeeding Moms group! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Both my kids went through mini growth spurts around that age where it felt like all they wanted to do was eat. My son's was the longer one at 3 weeks of nursing every hour on the hour except for a few hours at night. What helped me was pumping a few times a day so that my husband could give him a bottle after I went to bed. When you're nursing that frequently, you get less from the pump at one session.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM
This. Sounds like a growth spurt to me. And giving her a bottle with hurt your supply at such a young age

Quoting freshmom88:

chelsea1010
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Quoting JoeMax:

Sounds like the six week growth spurt. She's sending your body signals that she is ready for more milk, if you stick it out for the next week or so she should get back to her routine. Both of my boys did this too, and they did it periodically through the first year. You can use lanshino for the soreness, it works pretty well. Hope this helps.

She did have a growth spurt around 4 weeks, but this just seems different. She'll get frustrated while on the breast, and will start crying as if she's starving as soon as she's unlatched for even a second...just seems like she's not getting enough from me...she will eat consecutively after emptying both breasts. Maybe my body just hasn't adjusted to her demand yet?
FoxTales
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with the other ladies... She is upping your supply. Try hard not to give her bottles, as this will only prolong it and she will require more as it goes along... Nipple shields are available at several locations such as Babies R Us, and they can take some of the pressure off. Lansinoh also works wonderfully. Unfortunately, she needs to nurse as often as possible and it will toughen up your nipples... But it does pass, and if you let her nurse as frequently as she wants, it will serve you well later when she hits other growth spurts later. My friend once told me she knew the day each of her kids hit six weeks without ever looking at the calendar... All she did for two days was sit on the couch and try to eat and drink enough to keep up with how much her kids drank.

It is a supply and demand thing, but you have to be patient even when she doesn't seem to be! If it continues, maybe talk about a lactation consultant about natural ways to boost your supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN