Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Circumcision???

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM
  • 108 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I'm due March 5th and I'm having a little boy.  I have a daughter but this is my first boy and when i first found out i was having a boy i automaticallysaid yes I'm getting him circumcised but now I'm not so sure I want to.  I've been doing research and I just don't see the point in it.  I mean honestly other than religious reasons i don't understand why someone would put their newborn child through that much pain.... to cut or not to cut.... that is the question.... help!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommieSDW
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this
It's very much a personal decision that women get very defensive over. Keep researching and make your own opinion based on your gut :) good luck. FTR I chose not to circumcise. My 5 year old ended up needing it done but my 1 year old has no issues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I don't get it either. That's just me though, if someone wants to do something like that to their baby let them.I'd never do it.

HisFunnyGrl
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:24 AM
3 moms liked this
I circumcised my son. . I was with him when they did it and he didn't even cry. . If this baby is a boy I will circumcise him as well. . My husband wanted it done so we did it. . Its a really touchy subject for some ppl so I never discuss it bc its mine and my husbands decision to make.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Also, I must say it's bullcrap that women think they are "prettier" circumsized (as if vaginas look so good...not)I would never think about how my son's penis is going to look, how creepy. Plus, people that do it also say it's easier to keep clean later....but I would do anything for my baby even if it means extra work so that's a cop out. I think having girls is more difficult since vaginas are prone to infection. 

philly_mom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:29 AM
2 moms liked this

There are conflicting studies in regards to circumcision.  I will tell you something that you can either take or leave, but at least consider it before making your decision.

I ended up having my son circumcised after hearing my aunt's testimony.  She opted not to have her son circumcised, because it was at the time when studies came out saying there was no real medical benefit to be gained from it.  When my cousin was six, however, he began to have issues with being able to pull his foreskin back, and eventually the area became infected and extremely painful.  He had to be circumcised at age 6, and it was extremely painful for him.

Many mothers will surely argue that it is mere mutilation, but I tend to disagree.  It has been done for centuries as a result of religious beliefs, and many researchers have found that nearly all men who are circumcised are very happy that they are, and a percentage of men who are not circumcised wish they were.  Though there are studies that claim that it has no real medical benefits, equal numbers of studies have found that circumcision may result in lower risk of infections, both sexual and urinary.

My son was circumcised with no complications, and he healed very nicely in a matter of days.  The decision is ultimately up to you, but I decided that I would throw my two cents in, as I am certain you will hear a lot from the other side.  Good luck in your choice, and remember; no matter what you decide, it is YOUR decision, and those who try to judge you for your decision aren't worth the grief of acknowledging. 

SamsMama24
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM
2 moms liked this

There is no reason. It's purely cosmetic and i think it's ridiculous to put a newborn through an unnecessary procedure like that...just my opinion

KylersMom8-16-7
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Honestly it has little benefit. After researching it I decided to not circumcise my third son. Its easier to clean. It's been proven that if you don't forcefully retract the foreskin there is no increase risk of UTI. The foreskin is completely self cleaning. The reduction of STDs is completely false because only safe sex reduces risk of infection. 100 babies die every year because of infection and other complications from circumcision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jean1208
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM

i also read in several places that there are the same amount of babies that die each year from circumcision as there are from SIDS.. i mean that honestly scares the crap out of me... i don't want my child to have an unnecessary procedure that could possibly kill him

SamsMama24
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I know, right?! Like it really goes from hideous to pretty with the removal of a piece of skin...

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Also, I must say it's bullcrap that women think they are "prettier" circumsized (as if vaginas look so good...not)I would never think about how my son's penis is going to look, how creepy. Plus, people that do it also say it's easier to keep clean later....but I would do anything for my baby even if it means extra work so that's a cop out. I think having girls is more difficult since vaginas are prone to infection. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN