Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

So I'm due March 5th and I'm having a little boy.  I have a daughter but this is my first boy and when i first found out i was having a boy i automaticallysaid yes I'm getting him circumcised but now I'm not so sure I want to.  I've been doing research and I just don't see the point in it.  I mean honestly other than religious reasons i don't understand why someone would put their newborn child through that much pain.... to cut or not to cut.... that is the question.... help!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
LongBeachLiz
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM
*we* chose not to. I didn't see the need. We haven't had any problems. I am happy with our decision.
I hope you can find the best for you!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rmfanfgljf
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this
No child has ever died being left intact. Seriously what is better then just wiping and putting another diaper on? There is no pulling, tugging, pushing, vasoline, gauze, or extra care, and infections are treated the same way as with a female, with antibiotics. Don't let anyone or even yourself or spouse to forcefully retract him. Basically caring for an intact boy is a Hell of a lot easier then caring for a circed boy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slashteddy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

This is pretty much my favorite resource when it comes to circumcision (just fyi, if you go on the main page of the blog, it's nsfw). Basically what it comes down to is that if your son, later on, does not like his foreskin, he can change that as an adult and make a fully educated decision for himself; however, if for some reason he has any kind of issue with being circumcised, it is REALLY hard to undo, the process may not work, and even if it does it will never quite be the same.

-How the circumcision solution in Africa will increase HIV infections
-Doctors Opposing Circumcision - Does being born a healthy male require surgical correction?
-CIRP’s statement on circumcision, penile cancer, and cervical cancer
-Infant circumcision causes 100 deaths each year in the US
-Circumcision Not a Cure-all for AIDS
-Anatomy and Functions of the Male Foreskin
-How To Identify Circumcision Damage in the Adult Male
-Infant Responses to Circumcision, explaining the negative effects of severe neonatal pain
-Male circumcision and sexual function in men and women: a survey-based, cross-sectional study in Denmark
-Fine-touch pressure thresholds in the adult penis (most important from this: Five locations on the uncircumcised penis that are routinely removed at circumcision were more sensitive than the most sensitive location on the circumcised penis.”)
-Psychology Today’s series on circumcision: Surgical Myths, STD and Hygiene Myths, Social and Sexual Myths, Ethics and Economics, Forcible Retraction, Ignorance of Male Anatomy 

It’s worth mentioning that one of the main reasons circumcision initiially took off in the United States was as an anti-masturbation measure suggested in the late 19th century. Routine infant circumcision was not initially begun not so much out of health concerns, but rather a sexually-conservative religious value.

tina08mommy
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM
2 moms liked this
I had both my boys circumsized and they never had any problems with it snd they didnt have bleed and it was only red for a few days! If i have anymore boys then i will be getting them circumsized as well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:21 AM
Circumcised don't require any extra work either. I have never had to tug, pull, Vaseline, anything. They told me just keep it clean.

Good luck original poster. Everyone has their opinions, but do what is best for you and your little man.

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

No child has ever died being left intact. Seriously what is better then just wiping and putting another diaper on? There is no pulling, tugging, pushing, vasoline, gauze, or extra care, and infections are treated the same way as with a female, with antibiotics. Don't let anyone or even yourself or spouse to forcefully retract him. Basically caring for an intact boy is a Hell of a lot easier then caring for a circed boy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Nobody on here can help you make that decision. That is between you and your SO. We had our son circ'd and he never has had a problem. 

ChancesMommy07
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

My son was circ'd via the plasti bell procedure and there was no extra care. No vasoline, gauze, nothing.

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:50 AM
I'm against routine infant circumcision. It's not necessary and often does more harm then the thought to be good. I had my son done and deeply regret it. I will not be getting this baby done if it's a boy.
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM
You really have to weigh the pros and cons and make the decision that is right for your family.

My son is circ'd, as is my husband.
sep18mom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't ever do it.. my dh is not and he has never had any problems so if I ever have a boy he will not be done
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN