Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

So I'm due March 5th and I'm having a little boy.  I have a daughter but this is my first boy and when i first found out i was having a boy i automaticallysaid yes I'm getting him circumcised but now I'm not so sure I want to.  I've been doing research and I just don't see the point in it.  I mean honestly other than religious reasons i don't understand why someone would put their newborn child through that much pain.... to cut or not to cut.... that is the question.... help!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Replies (61-70):
sarah.xo
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Public forum sweetie everyone is going to voice their opinion if you like it or not. I was not attacking I was just letting you know that it's not just cosmetic reasons.

Quoting SamsMama24:

Im not concerned with your parenting, you're the one that attacked my opinion. I was giving my opinion to op, who asked for it...

Quoting sarah.xo:

valid agument? why are you so concerned with my parenting decisions?

Quoting SamsMama24:

*In other words, you have no valid argument so you're going to be catty..gottcha :)

Quoting sarah.xo:

*straight

Quoting SamsMama24:

Uh, lol...YOU stated that your doctor supported your decision EITHER way, i was simply saying that is not the same thing as recommending it. You're the one attacking my opinion, not the other way around...get it strait.

Quoting sarah.xo:

You have the right to your opinion BUT you DO NOT have the right to tell me MY doctor does NOT recommend it do you have the same doc as me? NO! you DO NOT know what conversation I had with my doctor and weather he as recommended it or not.

I'm DS mother and I will make a decision of what is RIGHT for him. I would rather my boys not have to have it done later in life because of problems that runs in DH family. It was 95% DH decision about it because he is the man and I don't know much about that stuff I just told him I was fine with it. It might be "ridiculous" in your eyes but not in mine!

Quoting SamsMama24:

In my opinion it should be your sons choice. In my opinion it is ridiculous. You're entitled to your opinion, im entitled to mine.It's great that your doctor supports you either way, that doesn't mean he recommends it.

Quoting sarah.xo:

It's still a personal choice, and just because I choose to do it does not make it "ridiculous" I live in Canada and was told by my doctor it's a personal choice he supports us either way.

I dont know what kind of health issues they have and how it would relate to being uncirc'd, but i do know, as someone else already pointed out, health organizations do not recommend it and most insurence doesn't cover it because it is considered cosmetic.

Quoting sarah.xo:

I respectfully disagree.

Medical issues run on DH side of the family with the uncircumised men, he is done so is DS and this son will be done. So no it's not PURELY cosmetic!

Quoting SamsMama24:

There is no reason. It's purely cosmetic and i think it's ridiculous to put a newborn through an unnecessary procedure like that...just my opinion

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SamsMama24
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I dont mind you voicing your opinion but you asked why i was so concerned with your parenting as if im the one badgering you. So, i was just reminding you that you started this and i couldn't care less what you choose for your kids. You have no argument on the actual issue here so you start getting catty. You can think it's not just cosmetic if you want but i think it is. End of story.

Quoting sarah.xo:

Public forum sweetie everyone is going to voice their opinion if you like it or not. I was not attacking I was just letting you know that it's not just cosmetic reasons.

Quoting SamsMama24:

Im not concerned with your parenting, you're the one that attacked my opinion. I was giving my opinion to op, who asked for it...

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

*In other words, you have no valid argument so you're going to be catty..gottcha :)

Quoting sarah.xo:

*straight

Quoting SamsMama24:

Uh, lol...YOU stated that your doctor supported your decision EITHER way, i was simply saying that is not the same thing as recommending it. You're the one attacking my opinion, not the other way around...get it strait.

Quoting sarah.xo:

You have the right to your opinion BUT you DO NOT have the right to tell me MY doctor does NOT recommend it do you have the same doc as me? NO! you DO NOT know what conversation I had with my doctor and weather he as recommended it or not.

I'm DS mother and I will make a decision of what is RIGHT for him. I would rather my boys not have to have it done later in life because of problems that runs in DH family. It was 95% DH decision about it because he is the man and I don't know much about that stuff I just told him I was fine with it. It might be "ridiculous" in your eyes but not in mine!

Quoting SamsMama24:

In my opinion it should be your sons choice. In my opinion it is ridiculous. You're entitled to your opinion, im entitled to mine.It's great that your doctor supports you either way, that doesn't mean he recommends it.

Quoting sarah.xo:

It's still a personal choice, and just because I choose to do it does not make it "ridiculous" I live in Canada and was told by my doctor it's a personal choice he supports us either way.

I dont know what kind of health issues they have and how it would relate to being uncirc'd, but i do know, as someone else already pointed out, health organizations do not recommend it and most insurence doesn't cover it because it is considered cosmetic.

Quoting sarah.xo:

I respectfully disagree.

Medical issues run on DH side of the family with the uncircumised men, he is done so is DS and this son will be done. So no it's not PURELY cosmetic!

Quoting SamsMama24:

There is no reason. It's purely cosmetic and i think it's ridiculous to put a newborn through an unnecessary procedure like that...just my opinion

mnmo3bb
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM
We will be for medical and religious reasons. We are Torah respectant Christians and find a lot of health benefits to following the Old Testament like dietary, washing hands, being clean. This website has good info on how it should be done... Easy circumcision. Org
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YeahItsJen
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM
I don't see the point to it either unless its for religous purposes. Its not "hard to clean", "gross", or any other crap that gets spread out there. Its only common practice here in the states for non religion reasons. My SO isn't circumcised, he's from Romania, he's never had a problem in his life, with infection or women. So it wasn't even a question when we had our son. He's now 5, perfectly healthy down there!
ImNotKarl
by Karl on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My midwife gave me some incredible resources and helped me make an informed decision. They themselves didn't reccomend it, however they gave me non-biased material that cited studies and sources that argued both sides, as well as encouraging me to do my own research. My son's father initially wanted our son to be circumsized. He didn't want to have to explain why they looked different during potty training or in the dressing room at the pool. I didn't know what I wanted. So we did a lot of reading, and in our case decided not to circumcise. Every other mother I knew chose to circumcise. I heard about the pain and shock of the procedure, I heard about one case of infection, I heard about how none of these moms regret it and would all do it again. My son can make the choice himself as an adult if it's something he feels strongly about.

At some point it's going to come to a decision, and I reccomend getting advice from several medical professionals, and doing your own reading and research. Personally, I wouldn't get my son circumcised without a medical need for it. Sex education, proper hygein, and common sense are all things he'll need to know anyway, so it's really not any extra effort to keep him intact. Before the skin naturally retracts itself, it's a non-issue anyway since the care is the same for an intact baby as a circumcised one.

No matter what you choose, someone is going to have a negative opinion. Just keep your head up and know you're making decisions that are best for your family and your baby, and everything will be ok.

Infinite1221
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Routine Infant Circumcision IS just for cosmetic reasons.

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

*straight

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting sarah.xo:

I respectfully disagree.

Quoting SamsMama24:

SadeAyosmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM

if your going to circumcise your son you better do your daughter aswell.

for religious reasons of course.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
sarah.xo
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Medical issues with foreskin on DH side is why we had it done NOT for cosmetic reasons.

Quoting Infinite1221:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

*straight

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting sarah.xo:

I respectfully disagree.

Quoting SamsMama24:

Infinite1221
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Yes... because you know your son had medical issues with his foreskin immediately after he was born... -__-

Quoting sarah.xo:

Medical issues with forskin on DH side is why we had it done NOT for cosmetic reasons.

Quoting Infinite1221:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

*straight

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting sarah.xo:

I respectfully disagree.

Quoting SamsMama24:

sarah.xo
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Another one that is going to attack me for my choices, don't judge and harass me for something you know nothing about, you do not know what problems run in the family and you don't know what my son went through after he was born.

Quoting Infinite1221:

Yes... because you know your son had medical issues with his foreskin immediately after he was born... -__-

Quoting sarah.xo:

Medical issues with forskin on DH side is why we had it done NOT for cosmetic reasons.

Quoting Infinite1221:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

*straight

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting SamsMama24:

Quoting sarah.xo:

Quoting sarah.xo:

I respectfully disagree.

Quoting SamsMama24:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)