Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

So I'm due March 5th and I'm having a little boy.  I have a daughter but this is my first boy and when i first found out i was having a boy i automaticallysaid yes I'm getting him circumcised but now I'm not so sure I want to.  I've been doing research and I just don't see the point in it.  I mean honestly other than religious reasons i don't understand why someone would put their newborn child through that much pain.... to cut or not to cut.... that is the question.... help!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Replies (81-90):
Hanab818
by Hana on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Its a personal decision and you need to do what's best for your little guy. Dh made that decision since I have no idea what it's like to have it one way or another. It's the only thing I let him have n his own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Agree 100%. In the US where we have access to clean water and soap every day, it is purely superficial.

Quoting SamsMama24:

There is no reason. It's purely cosmetic and i think it's ridiculous to put a newborn through an unnecessary procedure like that...just my opinion

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Why does it matter if a child looks like his father? 0_o

ginnyk87
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM
I personally wouldn't ever want to go through it again if I had another boy. I'd never been so depressed after he got it done. I felt like the worst mom in the world. I know he can't remember it now, but I just don't think it's my place to decide how he should look down there!
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:42 AM

I wouldn't  automatically assume that they go through a lot of pain. Some hospitals use a topical cream to numb the area first. 

I have had two out of the three circumsized. 

The one that I didn't... He had open heart surgery at 10 days old. I didn't want to put him through anything else unless it was medically necessary. The doctors assured me that with a little care on my part, and teaching him care as he grew that it wasn't medically necessary. So, I didn't have him done. I regretted it later, but still won't do that. As a male ages the pain escalates a bit. or a lot, as I've been told. As sensitive as my youngest son's skin is, I'm glad I got his done. 

Dippydoomomof2
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:48 AM
I left the decision up to DH. He understands a mans personal hygiene better than I do, so he chose for our son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kayla060812
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:50 AM
My older boys are because my ex was. I wish i would have been more informed because i would not have done it. Also i had been with someone before children and he wasn't and it was gross.... but hubs isn't and honestly i had no idea because his mother took care of it when he was young and taught him how to take care of it when he got older. I honestly did not believe it when he told be so asked his mother. So needless to say my littlw boy i had in Feb. Is not. It is a personal choice. Unless you are religious it is completely cosmetic
TempestRayne
by Donna on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:54 AM
I didn't circumcised either of my boys, and neither of them have had any infections yet. One boy is nine, the other is two.
shann77
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:17 AM
I felt the exact same way as you, I was certain I was going to do it, but the more I looked in to it I changed my mind. I couldn't bring my self to do anything that could hurt my baby and cause him pain.
VanessaCB
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM

How about the actual owner of the penis? HE is the ONLY one that should make the decision, not his parents.

Quoting Hi_Rae:

No one can make that decision but you, and your dh. People have very strong views either way and are very quick to shove them down others throats. My ds is circ'd ftr, he fell asleep in the waiting room before hand, slept through the whole procedure until I picked him up to put him in his car seat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)