Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How do you...

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

Make it work with a family of 4? Just found out I was pregnant with our second and I'm in the "what in the world did I do" phase. I keep hearing that 2 is the toughest number of children, but are that doesn't help make the transition easier. We live at least an hour away from any family so we're really on our own. I'm 21, my hubby is 27 and our son is just 2. We're a young family and I'm a worrier (I worry about far too many things that are mostly out of my control). Is there anything that made the transition easier for you all and your oldest child? 

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Kney-
by Courtney on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I am there now.. having my second son next Monday due to a repeat csection (unless he comes sooner) and I am beyond nervous and just scared as to how my oldest son is gonna take to a the new baby. He is 6 so he understands but not fully.

I'm scared and worried how I'm gonna devide my time for both of them. Thankfully my boys have different dads so I know my oldest will get the time he needs from dad when he goes every other weekend. I think it's gonna take awhile for us all to get use to it for awhile.

I am 23, my boyfriend is 23 and like I said my son is 6 will turn 7 in March.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud mommy to a happy and healthy 6 year old boy plus I have another little boy on the way.. who is madly in love with her soldier.

Bentley Aaron will make his way in this world November 26, 2012 by a repeat c-section :)

LucyMom08
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM
I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old...it works out...generally you are so busy doing that you don't have time for worrying, haha...seriously, though, I had the same fears and once my second was here I realized most of my fears had no basis in the actual reality of 2 kids...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM

How do you make it work?  You just do.  My husband and I have 3 kids.  We have a book about becomng a big brother that we read, but we didn't do anything big to prepare the older 2 to become big brothers. 

Do you remember when you were pregnant the first time?  I'm sure you worried about a lot of things about parenting and once the baby was born, it all just came to you.  Your motherly instincts took over.  The same thing will happen again.  If you need advice, come to us!  You'll do great!

militarywife09
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM
I'm 21 with a 5 year old and a 17 month old. You'll adjust :) good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
YeahItsJen
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM
I would think it'd be easier the second time around lol!! I'm sure you'll be just fine, and it'll all just click ;-) Congrats on #2 btw!
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Like Courtney said, you were probably worried the first time around right? And everything just kinda comes to you and you learned how to adjust and make it work. Same for having baby number two. Everything will be okay.
OBImomma
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM
You'll just learn. Take it one day at a time. I just had my 3rd and it took me about 4 weeks to figure out our new normal. But now it's like I've had 3 forever.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missamanda86
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I have 3 kids, and with each new one, we bought the older one(s) a baby doll and taught them how to properly hold a baby. Its really trial and error with each one. Im not sure how I adjusted, it just came naturally I think

MedicMommy722
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM
My children are 9 years apart, with a 14 yo SS thrown in there. The transition has went well for us (4 months in) with very few meltdowns. Make sure you make time for the older child, it was hard to do at first when I was so darn exhausted. But you can do it! People have been having multiple children since the beginning of time, you can as well! GL to you!
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I've got a 2 yr old and am expecting a boy in March. I was actually more excited about this pregnancy than the first time around, since I knew I wanted DD to have a sibling. It will work out- even though I get kind of stressed out at times about balancing a newborn's needs with a bright and active toddler, it is balanced out by DD telling me she loves Baby Henry, talks to my belly, and gets really concerned that the baby is squished.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)