Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Anyone know about christenings?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:04 AM
  • 13 Replies

So I'm 21 weeks and just found out today I'm having a baby boy. =D

Anyway to the point. My SO would like to have the baby baptised. My family and I aren't religious and honestly I don't care one way or the other but if it makes him happy I'm willing to do it. Problem though. I have no idea how to arrange one. . . Neither does he. His father and step-mother might but we're not exactly to keen on asking them for various reasons. My parents are clueless and his mother lives way too far to be much help.

Basic how to for setting up a christening? Neither me or my SO belong to a church and he has been very specific that it has to be done by a Catholic preacher. No idea what to do.

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amiehart62
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Maybe go to a local Catholic Church...they have a bunch of rules though about being active. You could also go to a Lutheran church, the service is the same as well as having to have whatever ceremony the kid has to do at age 14...the ceremony is the same for Lutheran and catholic but the Lutheran church isn't nearly as tight. But a baptism and christening are different. If he wants the Catholic Church it will be a baptism.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mami2oneboy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:54 AM
You have to go to the church they usually have an office, and tell the secretary she'll tell you when are the meetings (usually the parents and god parents have to go to a couple before the baptism) and pay around $40. that's pretty much it, oh and show up the day of the christening lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:20 AM
My son is a month and I started looking into his catholic baptism... The church has all the info online basically. There are classes to attend... They only offer baptism certain times of the month. You can call a local parish and find out more.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
claddison
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:41 AM

contact the local Catholic church and they can give you all the info.  i think you have to be a parishoner of the church though.  my oldest was baptized in the church and my youngest was baptized in the hospital when he was a month old.

Titana
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Well baptism is catholic and christening or dedication is Christian. I had my dd christened in the church where my grandparents are members and I was christened. To start all u have to do is contact the church and ask. They will point u in the right direction. :) hope that helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Is your SO Catholic?

A few things to remember about a Catholic christening (and I think Catholics are the only christian denomination that christens infants; I may be wrong though). By christening the baby in the Catholic faith you are promising to raise your child in The Church (the Catholic church). Both you and your SO will pick a parish (usually one you are a member of; I'm not sure how this works if neither of you are practicing Catholics) and you will attend a class (for the parents of children being baptized). You will choose godparents (one of whom MUST be a practicing Catholic; the other can be a practicing Christian of any denomination, at least here).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM

We are Roman Catholic and refer to baptism/christening interchangably - they mean the same thing in our church. Dedication is something entirely different.

Quoting Titana:

Well baptism is catholic and christening or dedication is Christian. I had my dd christened in the church where my grandparents are members and I was christened. To start all u have to do is contact the church and ask. They will point u in the right direction. :) hope that helps!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM

We didn't *have to* pay anything for either baptism; we gave the priest an envelope with a cash donation after the baptism.

Quoting Mami2oneboy:

You have to go to the church they usually have an office, and tell the secretary she'll tell you when are the meetings (usually the parents and god parents have to go to a couple before the baptism) and pay around $40. that's pretty much it, oh and show up the day of the christening lol.

Mami2oneboy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Well good for you, around here you have to pay, and if you haven't paid the day of, they just won't do it.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We didn't *have to* pay anything for either baptism; we gave the priest an envelope with a cash donation after the baptism.

Quoting Mami2oneboy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Lol. Really. Snark in a post about baptism? Thank God I age out of the 20's groups soon.

On that note, I was only pointing out to the OP that all parishes do things differently. We've used two different parishes for baptisms and neither required money up front; I do know that this varies parish to parish.

Quoting Mami2oneboy:

Well good for you, around here you have to pay, and if you haven't paid the day of, they just won't do it.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting Mami2oneboy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)