Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Anyone know about christenings?

Posted by   + Show Post

So I'm 21 weeks and just found out today I'm having a baby boy. =D

Anyway to the point. My SO would like to have the baby baptised. My family and I aren't religious and honestly I don't care one way or the other but if it makes him happy I'm willing to do it. Problem though. I have no idea how to arrange one. . . Neither does he. His father and step-mother might but we're not exactly to keen on asking them for various reasons. My parents are clueless and his mother lives way too far to be much help.

Basic how to for setting up a christening? Neither me or my SO belong to a church and he has been very specific that it has to be done by a Catholic preacher. No idea what to do.

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Replies (11-13):
OBImomma
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM
We just had my dd2 baptized. Just call the church and tell them you want to have the baby baptized. We just had to call and give the baby's information and the God parents names
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GhostlyLoki
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Is your SO Catholic?

A few things to remember about a Catholic christening (and I think Catholics are the only christian denomination that christens infants; I may be wrong though). By christening the baby in the Catholic faith you are promising to raise your child in The Church (the Catholic church). Both you and your SO will pick a parish (usually one you are a member of; I'm not sure how this works if neither of you are practicing Catholics) and you will attend a class (for the parents of children being baptized). You will choose godparents (one of whom MUST be a practicing Catholic; the other can be a practicing Christian of any denomination, at least here).

Actually my SO isn't really a believer. The reason for the christening is more to do with his culture than a religious thing. Where he's originally from they still don't take infants outside until they are baptised. Also this will make his mother happy seeing that she is a practicing Catholic. I'm not sure of all the why's honestly, but I know he wants it and he knows he wants it.

I guess I need to sit him down and hash out exactly what he wants so I can go about this better. Thanks for the info.

And thanks you to everyone else too! Looks like I'll have phone calls to make after I get everything worked out.

MamaC.
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Hi :) orthodox, episcopalians, Lutherans, Presbyterians and some Methodists christen babies too.
Only thing I have to contribute to the conversation and its not really important or relevant lol.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Is your SO Catholic?

A few things to remember about a Catholic christening (and I think Catholics are the only christian denomination that christens infants; I may be wrong though). By christening the baby in the Catholic faith you are promising to raise your child in The Church (the Catholic church). Both you and your SO will pick a parish (usually one you are a member of; I'm not sure how this works if neither of you are practicing Catholics) and you will attend a class (for the parents of children being baptized). You will choose godparents (one of whom MUST be a practicing Catholic; the other can be a practicing Christian of any denomination, at least here).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN