Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

babysitter overstepped her bounds?

Posted by   + Show Post

my almost five year old and my 10 month old are watched by a friend during the day since i decided to go back to college at the ageof 29(im 30 now). my oldest has gotten head lice 4-5 times since august 20th. we just cleared up another outbreak of it sunday. today when i got home from work my boyfriend wanted to show me something....a two bottle package of headlice shampoo that the sitter decided to ask the dr for a script for. keep in mind, she was at the dr for her grandson, the visit had nothing to do with my son. was i wrong to be upset with her and to tell her as much?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Replies (31-39):
babyjen314
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM
I wouldn't be mad, but I would thank her for the thought and say hey next time just give me a call and give me a heads up. I personally wouldn't be mad but I could see how u might feel that way
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:19 AM

hmmm.... i think her heart was in the right place. i'd be a bit upset since it IS a doctor prescribed 'medicine' and what if he was allergic, or something? you NEVER know.

but then its kinda weird that just your son keeps getting them. i mean, i bet the 10 month old's hair is too... slick..? (not sure of the right word i'm looking for) for lice to latch on. maybe his hair is too clean! lol

nikki4eva88
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:36 AM
Definitely did NOT over step her bounds.
BeAmour
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Of course I wouldn't mind or be upset. I wouldn't even have been bothered if she stripped everything and washed it all, too.

She was just trying to help. Just remember, it's one less thing YOU have to do. Accept the help and move on.

raye-chan
by Raye on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:39 AM

I wouldn't be mad. She obviously knows that you guys have had issues with getting the headlice cleared up and she thought she was helping out. If it really offends you, give her the headlice shampoo back and tell her calmly and politely that you and your husband will deal with the problem yourselves. Just explain that while you're grateful for her wanting to help that you wished she would have spoken to you about it before just getting the shampoo for you. 

I see both sides but to be honest, I wouldn't be mad about it. I'd take the help and see if her idea works in the long run. She might feel since you trust her enough to watch your children that you might like her idea or that it might help you guys out.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:10 AM

I would have asked her if she forgot something at the house. She could have gotten it out to read the directions and look at the stuff to acclimate herself with it for her grandson.

Ya never know, until you ask. 

I would have asked a few questions first before telling her about the anger. Because without knowing why it was there, you don't know that she used it on your son.

was it empty or open? You could have asked your 5 year old about it as well. Seen if she had given them a bath while you were gone.

I would also be wondering why your son always has an outbreak of head lice as well. If her grandson has it, maybe she does as well, and doesn't know.

Taurij1011
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I agree she should have asked but at the same time it might have been one of those things that she was there and without thinking asked about the lice and you know just took advantage of the moment or maybe the doctor noticed something. I think us moms want to be superwoman and have it all under control and take it personally when someone maybe "oversteps" when they are really just trying to help ( I know at least I do :p). Also believe it or not you left your kids with her and its her job to do what she feels is best for that time she is with them. You clearly trust her because you wouldn't leave your precious ones with her if you didn't! Maybe you can just tell her I appreciate what you've done but in the future I'd appreciate it if you called first when it regards my children's health!

mom2monsterboys
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM
How do you figure that? OP's kid is the one who continues to get it. Babysitter is probably fed up.

I would have quit a long time ago.

Quoting kewi86:

I would have been furious.  She was out of line and I wouldn't be surprise if she was the one bringing head lice into your home.  It's obvious that she not treating her grandson's head lice and she coming into your home to babysit your children.  I think you should consider letting her go for a babysitter who will be more responsible and mindful of your children.  Wish you the best.

issacsmom2
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM

thanks for all the help ladies. got the problem cleared up and spoke with the sitter. she had my best interests in mind. the reason she got the shampoo was she knew i was pretty much broke and my sons medical card covers it. so it seems like i was upset for no reason.

thinking of asking his doctor about a pill to prevent headlice that someone told me about. does anyone hace any information in that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)