Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms
I an honestly a chicken person and I've never really favored turkey. I'm making chicken for thanksgiving this year. What do you ladies prefer and why? To me it's never really made a difference the type of bird.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Replies (21-30):
mnmo3bb
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I got a 13 lber... I looked up several ways to cook it and am going to figure it out as I go I guess lol I am not too worried. It's just us eating it and my husband bought turkey ham because he doesn't like real turkey... I liked to use leftover turkey in chili instead of hamburger and might make soup or something... oh sandwiches, I am sure the kids and I will have lots of sandwiches! LOL

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Oh it's not hard to cook. I don't have an oven and cooked my bird in a nuwave. It turned out ridiculously moist and cooked in just 1hour and 30 minutes! We only had a 5lb bird but it's nice to be able to clean up so quickly. We've always stuck with small birds since our family is small. 18lbs is the biggest bird we've had. That was the first bird I ever cooked that turned out great. The hard part for me is remembering to flip it over to the breast side half way through.

Quoting mnmo3bb:

both are great, turkey is something I rarely have (haven't had real turkey aside from sandwhich meat, etc since 2009)... so having real turkey tomorrow (if I can get it cooked right...) will be a big treat.

Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

SandraJo
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I love Mexican food. But when my neighbors moved in, and I saw the wife was philipino, I pounced on her, lol. When I invited them for thanksgiving, the husband asked if I wanted them to bring a dish. I was like, oh no, that's all right...but can J make lumpia? I'm so excited for tomorrow. Friends, family, lots and lots of food. Plus my neighbor brought home a second turkey that was given to him at his unit. So now we are definitely going to be eating good. And the wife asked if she could invite a couple she knows since it was just the 2 of them, so even more people. The wife of that couple will be helping make the lumpia. And I have to use the neighbors oven to cook the second turkey. I am going to spazz out so badly tomorrow

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

It sounds good! I went to a Christmas party for my GED class a couple years ago and it was all home made Mexican food. I ate so much that night. It was the best food I ever had!

Quoting SandraJo:

Lumpia is these little Philipino egg rolls. They are fantastic. I'm not sure what pancet is. I was told rice noodles with some chicken and other stuff. I'm not sure if I'm even spelling it right. But every thing my neighbor has had me taste is just awesome. Mmmmm....I love philipino food.

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Oh wow. I just ate and now I'm hungry, guess it's good I'm eating these cookies! Lol. Lumpia and pancet? What are those?

Quoting SandraJo:

We have chicken all the time. I am desperately craving turkey by this time of year. I'm doing thanksgiving myself this year so I've made sure to get all my favorites. And I have tons of cranberry sauce. Yum. And my neighbor is bringing lumpia, pancet(sp?) and shepards pie. And turkey sandwiches for days afterward.

Oh geez, I'm so hungry now....

Liz.Sisk
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:29 AM
My dad used to always take the dark meat and make turkey salad. The smell always made me sick to my stomach. But luckily I was never sent to school with turkey leftovers! Lol.

Quoting mnmo3bb:

I got a 13 lber... I looked up several ways to cook it and am going to figure it out as I go I guess lol I am not too worried. It's just us eating it and my husband bought turkey ham because he doesn't like real turkey... I liked to use leftover turkey in chili instead of hamburger and might make soup or something... oh sandwiches, I am sure the kids and I will have lots of sandwiches! LOL

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Oh it's not hard to cook. I don't have an oven and cooked my bird in a nuwave. It turned out ridiculously moist and cooked in just 1hour and 30 minutes! We only had a 5lb bird but it's nice to be able to clean up so quickly. We've always stuck with small birds since our family is small. 18lbs is the biggest bird we've had. That was the first bird I ever cooked that turned out great. The hard part for me is remembering to flip it over to the breast side half way through.

Quoting mnmo3bb:

both are great, turkey is something I rarely have (haven't had real turkey aside from sandwhich meat, etc since 2009)... so having real turkey tomorrow (if I can get it cooked right...) will be a big treat.

Liz.Sisk
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:35 AM
Sounds like a BUSY day. Thankfully I've never cooked for a big crowd. I'd be afraid of people not liking my food just because I cook kind of different compared to most people. I like my food, but. I'm sure one day when I have a house I'll have to. THAT day will be interesting! Lol. Though so much company would be nice. There would always be conversation.

Quoting SandraJo:

I love Mexican food. But when my neighbors moved in, and I saw the wife was philipino, I pounced on her, lol. When I invited them for thanksgiving, the husband asked if I wanted them to bring a dish. I was like, oh no, that's all right...but can J make lumpia? I'm so excited for tomorrow. Friends, family, lots and lots of food. Plus my neighbor brought home a second turkey that was given to him at his unit. So now we are definitely going to be eating good. And the wife asked if she could invite a couple she knows since it was just the 2 of them, so even more people. The wife of that couple will be helping make the lumpia. And I have to use the neighbors oven to cook the second turkey. I am going to spazz out so badly tomorrow

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

It sounds good! I went to a Christmas party for my GED class a couple years ago and it was all home made Mexican food. I ate so much that night. It was the best food I ever had!

Quoting SandraJo:

Lumpia is these little Philipino egg rolls. They are fantastic. I'm not sure what pancet is. I was told rice noodles with some chicken and other stuff. I'm not sure if I'm even spelling it right. But every thing my neighbor has had me taste is just awesome. Mmmmm....I love philipino food.

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Oh wow. I just ate and now I'm hungry, guess it's good I'm eating these cookies! Lol. Lumpia and pancet? What are those?

Quoting SandraJo:

We have chicken all the time. I am desperately craving turkey by this time of year. I'm doing thanksgiving myself this year so I've made sure to get all my favorites. And I have tons of cranberry sauce. Yum. And my neighbor is bringing lumpia, pancet(sp?) and shepards pie. And turkey sandwiches for days afterward.

stellarcatgirl
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I love chicken... and like it more than turkey, but what is Thanksgiving without a turkey or a ham?

Liz.Sisk
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never really gotten why people for ham. I always thought that was a Christmas thing. I love having turkey on occasion. I'm thinking if doing chicken every other year just so it doesn't get boring. My husband tried to trick me into buying duck this year. I said HECK NO. All he had to say in his defense is that 'its just a water chicken' lol

Quoting stellarcatgirl:

I love chicken... and like it more than turkey, but what is Thanksgiving without a turkey or a ham?

SandraJo
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:50 AM
1 mom liked this
It is a busy day. So now confirmed including my family and I are 6adults, 3 kids, 3 adults pending. And its my first thanksgiving hosting.

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Sounds like a BUSY day. Thankfully I've never cooked for a big crowd. I'd be afraid of people not liking my food just because I cook kind of different compared to most people. I like my food, but. I'm sure one day when I have a house I'll have to. THAT day will be interesting! Lol. Though so much company would be nice. There would always be conversation.

Quoting SandraJo:

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Quoting SandraJo:

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Quoting SandraJo:

SandraJo
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Wait, different how? Like non traditional dishes, or a different style of cooking, or dietary restrictions?

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Quoting SandraJo:

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Quoting SandraJo:

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Quoting SandraJo:

Liz.Sisk
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:01 AM
I'd say it's a bit of both non traditional style dishes and we'll as a different cooking style. I have a habit of finding ways to cook things that generally take hours to cook and turn it into something that takes about an hour or so. I'm afraid it might take away from the taste but since I don't cook for other people besides my family I've never really worried about it

Quoting SandraJo:

Wait, different how? Like non traditional dishes, or a different style of cooking, or dietary restrictions?

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Quoting SandraJo:

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Quoting SandraJo:

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Quoting SandraJo:

Courtney610
by Courtney on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I love Turkey. I rarely make it, so I look forward to it on Thanksgiving!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)