Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pertussis

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM
  • 14 Replies

How do I know if my baby has pertussis. He's been diagnosed with a respiratory infection, but my MIL mentioned pertussis, because of how he coughs (which didnt sound like that when he saw doctor). Now I'm worried. He's 3 months old, and was born at 34 1/2 weeks. 

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OBImomma
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM
With whooping cough you cough so much you can't catch your breath and often vomit after/during coughing fits.

The doctors thought my dd1 had it when she was little. But she didn't. Just a bad respiratory infection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM

That is how my baby is. Cough so bad he chokes and spits up, and he makes a freaking whooping sound. 

Is there a test for it to rule it out? 

Quoting OBImomma:

With whooping cough you cough so much you can't catch your breath and often vomit after/during coughing fits.

The doctors thought my dd1 had it when she was little. But she didn't. Just a bad respiratory infection.

sreichelt26
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Sounds like it might be. You'd have to take him to urgent care to know for sure

Quoting Nicholy10:

That is how my baby is. Cough so bad he chokes and spits up, and he makes a freaking whooping sound. 

Quoting OBImomma:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM

He just got home from the ER but in the ER he wasn't coughing like this and I didn't think to ask about it. So they gave him a steriod and an antibiotic, and said he's got a respiratory infection

Quoting sreichelt26:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting OBImomma:

OBImomma
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Yes. The doctor sent us to children's hospital to have a test bc you have to go see infectious disease. They take a qtip swab like thing and swab up the nose. It's very simple.

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting OBImomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM
With whooping cough you almost never stop coughing. It's like you're being tortured by coughing

Quoting Nicholy10:

He just got home from the ER but in the ER he wasn't coughing like this and I didn't think to ask about it. So they gave him a steriod and an antibiotic, and said he's got a respiratory infection

Quoting sreichelt26:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting OBImomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I'd bring him back in and have them listen to the cough.  It can be serious if he does have pertussis, it's not something you'd want to take a chance on.

SamsMama24
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Does your pedi have a nurses line? I would call and describe the cough to them and see what they think...

TexasWife
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to have him checked out.

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I have

Quoting TexasWife:

You need to have him checked out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)