Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Cereal for a 6 week old?

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM
  • 33 Replies

My baby girl was born 10lbs and 22 inches long, so she's a big baby. I'm sure now she's over 12lbs now...
She's breastfed, and eats A LOT.
I've had a ton of people (including her doctor) comment on how big she is, and how often she eats, and it's always the same, "You giving her cereal to help her be full??"
Keep in mind also, she has reflux.
I had cereal when I was 2 weeks old, cause I was a big baby with same problem....
Is it safe?? Do I dare??

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bowribbonmama
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:14 AM
No. NO solids until 6 months of age.
Besides, cereals are nothing but empty calories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinglife0682
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:15 AM
No we have since seen the effects of cereal too early.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittanyjenean
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Personally I wouldn't. My bff's DD had gastrointestinal issues and failure to thrive and often threw up her formula. They upped her formula per bottle. Also may I suggest Goat's milk or the Carnation milk stuff.
Ninjascreenname
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Good god no! Ideally you shouldn't give solid foods until 6 months and you should skip cereal all together. Google "virgin gut breathed baby" and read what cereal does to it!
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I wouldn't, personally. It seems like she's growing well just on your milk, but I've never dealt with a baby with reflux. I'd be concerned that it could be a choking hazard for a baby that young, since they can't even sit up enough to eat it by the spoonful. Please ask your pediatrician what they would recommend.

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM
Giving cereal will add to the overweight problem. Newborns eat a lot no matter how much they weigh. Don't be concerned with that. My youngest was a big baby and I never thought twice about how much he ate.
MyAdorable3
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Yeah I did it with all 3 of my kids and my kids are doing just fine...When I had my first kid and her Peds Dr. told me that sometimes you have to use your own descretion...of course he was an older Dr, but my do what YOU FEEL IS BEST FOR YOU!!...

I started out with 1 oz...just make sure you ise rice and NOTHING with Flavor!! 

Hope this helps!!

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 6:57 AM
This!

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

Good god no! Ideally you shouldn't give solid foods until 6 months and you should skip cereal all together. Google "virgin gut breathed baby" and read what cereal does to it!
Byrd15
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Not my thing until they are at the very least 3 months. But thats just me! :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

heathermarie27
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this
NEVER EVER GIVE CEREAL TO A BABY! Especially with a breasted baby. It can block the absorption of the iron in your milk. Plus it's all empty calories. Your baby should be eating all the time. My son has reflux still. He is 15 months, and was breasted. He is just fine now without cereal. He went on meds and I altered my diet to have no dairy. He thrived.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)