Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

OMG IMMA KILL HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VENT EDITED

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM
KT
  • 17 Replies

My roommate just called me because she knows im kind of a car seat nazi(only with my friends and family) she asked me what the next step car seat would be for her 1 year old niece, so i told her the one that my dd is in(she is 2), she is in the convertable car seat with the 5 point harness. my roomie says "thats what i thought, omg katie she has her in a car seat that Vada(my 6 year old) should be in. she is in the one that has the high back but it doesnt have the straps with it, she is just in the car seat belt." i have offered my car seat to her many times, because i have another one and she refuses to take it! i am so mad with her right now. this is not the 1st time we have had the car seat talk. when she was in the infant carry seat she had the straps so loose that the baby could sit up, and everytime i fixed it she would tell me that the baby doesnt like it that tight because she cant sit up. oh fucking well! do you want to let your under 1 year old DIE because you choose to let her be unsafe? not only would she put her in there with the straps too loose, she would turn the carry seat so that it was facing forward. omg she is so stupid and now she is prego with another one! i just want to shake her!

this is the type of car seat she has her 1 year old in!

Graco Highback Booster - Carolina

What would you ladies do? i dont know how to get her to understand the dangers of this, not only can she get a ticket she could lose the life of her child! i really want to call CPS and the cops on her but i feel like i cant because she is my best friends sister!

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erin708
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM
That's def illegal. Well at least in nj. My bil gf never has the straps right on my five mo old neice. I constantly tell her and she says the baby doesn't like it. U unfortunetly can only educate these dumb mothers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddiesmommy5
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM

:( I too am a car seat nazi... So much so that my SOs sister is super mad at me right now.(I wouldn't let her take my dd as she was just going to buckle her like an adult Plus she had her 80 lbs dog loose in the car) Now dd is almost 7 but she only weighs 45 lbs we use a britax frontier 85 and her Aunt just didn't want to take the time to buckle it into her car. People that don't understand car seat safety or just don't care piss me off more then anything!

cupcake_mom
by KT on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:21 AM

i have educated her since the 1st day i met her! i was corrected on the car seat she was in, and the 1st car seat i posted a pic of would have been fine if the mom was using the 5 point harness, even though it isnt the right seat for her age or weight. she knows the risks and the dangers of the seat she has choosen and just doesnt fucking care

Quoting Angel_Red7:

Hm, I'm not too sure I understand what is wrong with the seat. I get that she needs to use the straps (5 point harness) but some 1 year olds outgrow the length of a car seat which is also dangerous. 

I also hate calling other mothers dumb. If you don't know, then you just don't know. Knowing and not caring are two different things. If you want to help other mothers, be less judgemental because being judgemental overrides anything you have to say and it will not be heard. 

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I've yet to ever meet a one year old, or even two year old who has outgrown the length of a convertible seat. Infant seats, possibly, but even then they still need straps and have not surpassed the height limit on the convertible seats. Putting a one year old in a high back booster is reckless and irresponsible.

Quoting Angel_Red7:

Hm, I'm not too sure I understand what is wrong with the seat. I get that she needs to use the straps (5 point harness) but some 1 year olds outgrow the length of a car seat which is also dangerous. 

I also hate calling other mothers dumb. If you don't know, then you just don't know. Knowing and not caring are two different things. If you want to help other mothers, be less judgemental because being judgemental overrides anything you have to say and it will not be heard. 

cupcake_mom
by KT on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM

then you miss read the whole post. i said that she was in a high back booster with the 5 point harness removed, then i said when she was in the infant carry seat that she also turned it forward and the straps were loose. then i was corrected when the roomie got home and her sister has her 1 year old in a bigh back booster that is for more of a 7 to 12 year old. like the new one i posted

Quoting Angel_Red7:

Ok, I actually misunderstood. A high back booster is different. But the person that posted originally posted a convertible seat which I think is reasonable for a 1 year old. And I was referring to an infant seat. 

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

I've yet to ever meet a one year old, or even two year old who has outgrown the length of a convertible seat. Infant seats, possibly, but even then they still need straps and have not surpassed the height limit on the convertible seats. Putting a one year old in a high back booster is reckless and irresponsible.

Quoting Angel_Red7:

Angel_Red7
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Yep sure did

Quoting cupcake_mom:

then you miss read the whole post. i said that she was in a high back booster with the 5 point harness removed, then i said when she was in the infant carry seat that she also turned it forward and the straps were loose. then i was corrected when the roomie got home and her sister has her 1 year old in a bigh back booster that is for more of a 7 to 12 year old. like the new one i posted

Quoting Angel_Red7:

Ok, I actually misunderstood. A high back booster is different. But the person that posted originally posted a convertible seat which I think is reasonable for a 1 year old. And I was referring to an infant seat. 

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Quoting Angel_Red7:

KailesMommy
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Im sorry i do not get the point of putting a child over 5 unless they are very short for their age in a car seat. Other than that, yea over a year old they need the 5 point harness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TS9509
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Holy cow my ds turned 6 in April and that's when he was put in a seat like that. I kept him in the 5 point harness until then! My sister has a 5 year old and a son that will be 4 next month and they are both in booster seats like that. It makes me soooo mad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cupcake_mom
by KT on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM

lol

Quoting Angel_Red7:

Yep sure did

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Quoting Angel_Red7:

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Quoting Angel_Red7:

cupcake_mom
by KT on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM

you really need to do some research then. you need to know what can happen to a child if they are not in their right car seat. these regulations are set forth for a reason

Quoting KailesMommy:

Im sorry i do not get the point of putting a child over 5 unless they are very short for their age in a car seat. Other than that, yea over a year old they need the 5 point harness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)