Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

advice to alleviate an itchy rash?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM
  • 12 Replies
My son (15 months) has developed a small, bumpy rash around his trunk. It started with a couple of small bumps (almost like tiny pimples) but none in a group and all very spread out. I thought it might just be a reaction to the cold winter air, but now it seems to be spreading and he is scratching it :(

We haven't introduced any new foods lately, and we use free and clear detergent for his clothes. He is up to date on his shots... Any ideas what it could be or how to make it stop itching? I think I will try taking him in on Monday, as it has lasted about a week now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erin708
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM
My dd had a reaction to a new free and clear detergent. I had started using all with oxy active. She broke out from that. So I went back to the old one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FoxTales
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM
That's the thing... We have had this same detergent for months :/ not sure why he would react now.

Quoting erin708:

My dd had a reaction to a new free and clear detergent. I had started using all with oxy active. She broke out from that. So I went back to the old one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FoxTales
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM

BUMP!

SamsMama24
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM

If it's eczema, after a bath put lots of lotion or petroleum jelly on the area BEFORE drying him off and gently pat him dry, dont rub. You can also get some corisone cream..

SamsMama24
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:38 PM

And also, dont bathe him too often, only when needed

bigmama1106
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM

sounds like it may be a yeast infection of the skin i would wait to put anything on it till you call the doctor and ask. most doctors have a nurse you can call when the office is closed.

FoxTales
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:39 AM
thanks ladies - good to know about the possible yeast infection. I was going to put lotion on him, thinking it was dry skin, but i didn't want to aggravate anything. Hr gets bathed about every second or third day unless he has had a really gross day, in which case he sometimes needs it more often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FoxTales
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:43 AM
I had thought of cortisone (I have some and skin conditions run in the family) but had hoped the doctor wouldn't prescribe it, because I don't really like the idea of putting even mild steroids on him :( plus, he is very fair already and the cortisone can thin the skin, so I don't want him to be more susceptible to the sun.

but if it gets worse, I would prefer that to him being itchy and super uncomfortable and possibly having the area open to infection.

Quoting SamsMama24:

If it's eczema, after a bath put lots of lotion or petroleum jelly on the area BEFORE drying him off and gently pat him dry, dont rub. You can also get some corisone cream..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
popomill
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Honestly that sounds like a heat rash. I know it sounds strange because it's getting cold out, but if you have him wearing a ton of layers he'll get really hot. My son used to (and still does) get heat rashes, mostly in his butt and frontal area, but also his back and stuff. I would just let him air out at home as much as you can and maybe not put so many layers on him, unless its easy to take off, like blankets or something. Good luck! If it's not cleared up in a couple days of that I would take him in.

FoxTales
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Hmmmm!! Good thought, thank you! Ds is super prone to heat rash, but I didn't even think it could be that in the middle of -15 (Celsius) weather. I will try just letting his cute little cloth booty run around for awhile and see what happens :)

Quoting popomill:

Honestly that sounds like a heat rash. I know it sounds strange because it's getting cold out, but if you have him wearing a ton of layers he'll get really hot. My son used to (and still does) get heat rashes, mostly in his butt and frontal area, but also his back and stuff. I would just let him air out at home as much as you can and maybe not put so many layers on him, unless its easy to take off, like blankets or something. Good luck! If it's not cleared up in a couple days of that I would take him in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)