Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help for my little girl EDIT New Update

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter since yesterday has been running a fever she is 4 and Friday afternoon it was 100.2 (aux) when I got her home she was fine running around playing... This morning she woke up she was warm again she doesn't like to do a temp under her arm so I got my tympanic thermometer around 1 and took her temp she was 101.7 at that time she was starting to cough, she had a extremely runny nose, and she was a little less active.  I gave her 1 tsp of cough medicine (yes I know she is 4 but I give her half a normal dose for a 6 year old and I don't do it often just when she is sick like this which is like twice a year) at that point we had her take a nap and 2 hours later she woke up and was super cuddly. we had dinner, I offered her a freeze pop which she didn't finish, and then she played 45 minutes of wii but wasn't very active when playing it she mostly sat and played.  I retook her temp and it was 102.5 (ear) so I gave her reg Tylenol since at this point she was also complaining of a headache.  that was 4 hours ago she is sleeping and I did her temp about 45 minutes ago and it was 99.5 but when I feel her head she is burning, she is also crying in her sleep and coughing a really deep cough. I did put vapor rub on her chest and on the soles of her feet.  I don't know what to do I need advice and everyone I know is sleeping can someone please help?

So it is morning and she still has a fever. it was 101.7 (ear).  She is a little less active not like normal.  Now I'm concerned since it has been 72 hours since this started.  Should I bring her to the Dr's?

DD has an ear infection and they ran a strep test that came back neg.  so she is on antibiotics.

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM
I dont think there is much else that you can do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyandBecca
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Do you have a humidifier and my son just went threw the same thing had to take him to the ER he had bronchitis
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lotsohuginmomma
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM

There was a couple of kids at her school that had strep a few weeks ago... but it has been at least 2 weeks since they had signs and strep only has a 7 day incubation till it is full fledge

Quoting MommyandBecca:

Do you have a humidifier and my son just went threw the same thing had to take him to the ER he had bronchitis

MommyandBecca
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:24 PM
I wouldn't think it's strep then but at this time of the year colds and stuff are common and she could pick up anything even just being at the grocery store someone sneezes or coughs without covering their mouth can spread germs my oldest picked up the rotovirus just from being out in public when she was 6 months old it was gross
seraphimsong
by Ashley on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Sounds like you did most of what you can do. Sounds like maybe it's just a yucky cold or the beginning of an ear/sinus infection or something. I would say if the fever doesn't break soon to take her to see her ped or a walk in clinic and make sure she is good to go. Good luck! Having sick little ones is the worst!

babyjen314
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:46 AM
I would've taken her to the doc Friday before the weekend. But she should be ok till Monday. 102 fever means she might have an infection. I'd make an appt first thing Monday morning. Or if u have take care clinic at Walgreens if u can't get her into the doc
LoveMyLos
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Id go to.dr. i tried to get my 2 yr olds temp to go away. Highest was 104.6. It finally went down to 102.4, but no lower. Cough started, so i decided to take her to dr. Turns out she has croup, and a double ear infection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
popomill
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Give her a warm bath, not cold, and just pour water on her, this will help bring her temp down. You can do this often if you want. You can also put a cool rag on her back or forehead for the fever. My pharmacist said to put something cold, like a frozen juice, under the knees and in the armpits, unless that's where you take the temperature at, because that will bring down a fever too.
Have her do bed rest, just lay around and watch TV and let her sleep and lay around. Cough medicine is OK too, I give my son some like you do, just a half dose. Just push water, and watery fruits like watermelon and grapes.
If she starts throwing up just remember the BRAT diet....Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. It's not going to hurt her to not really eat for a few days while she's sick as long as she can hold down water.
Good luck, I hope she's feeling better! (PS, my sister went to school with a 104 temp. because my dad didn't know she was sick, so it is possible for her to be running around with a high fever and you don't really know)

lotsohuginmomma
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Bump

crazygirl907
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Her fever isn't too high. I don't think the doc will do much except tell you to give liquids and Tylenol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)