Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you take a child to the ER?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM
  • 19 Replies

I've noticed what constitutes an ER various for each of us on here. So I'm curious to discuss this further. 

For me personally these are reasons I have taken my children to the ER:

*Fever over 102 that does not drop with meds. 

*Fever reaching over 103 regardless of meds. 

*Respiratory distress or asthma related issues

*Dehydration while very sick

Heaven forbid it ever occurs additional reasons I would take them:

*Severe injuries

*Life threatening illness/injury

*car accident

Reasons I have gone myself:

*Coughing up blood

Reasons my husband has gone: 

*Endless bleeding from his butt (turns out he had a blood clot in a hemariod) 

What do you think? What are reasons you have gone/would go? What do you think of my reasons? 

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShireeCS
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Fever reasons I don't agree with.. dd had a fever of over 104 for 5 days and I didn't take her to the er... she was seen though several times. Car accident only if its severe.. I would also go if I can't control my asthma with meds, severe pain, allergic reactions depending on the time of day and severity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicholy10
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Can I ask why not for fevers? Curious? For me it just seems like a serious thing, because high fevers can cause seizures. 

Quoting ShireeCS:

Fever reasons I don't agree with.. dd had a fever of over 104 for 5 days and I didn't take her to the er... she was seen though several times. Car accident only if its severe.. I would also go if I can't control my asthma with meds, severe pain, allergic reactions depending on the time of day and severity.

OBImomma
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM
My ds had a fever seizure (temp was 103). He had a high blood sugar (diagnosed a type 1 diabetic). Thought he dislocated his hip (it was muscle spams). Tooth infection (bc it was our only option)
Dd1. Had milk maids elbow.
Dd2 was having a hard time breathing. She caught ds cold when she was 2 weeks old.

It takes something big for me to take my kids to the ER. I am terrified of doctors so I try and avoid them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShireeCS
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Because they don't get concerned unless they are over 105 and if its a lower grade fever and they are lethargic. I heard that several times from different doctors.

Quoting Nicholy10:

Can I ask why not for fevers? Curious? For me it just seems like a serious thing, because high fevers can cause seizures. 

Quoting ShireeCS:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM
This about the fevers, except our cut off is 104.5. And my dd DOES get seizures from fevers.

Quoting ShireeCS:

Because they don't get concerned unless they are over 105 and if its a lower grade fever and they are lethargic. I heard that several times from different doctors.

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting ShireeCS:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicholy10
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM

My ER has always taken fevers over 103 very seriously, but I guess that is because my children were both preemies. My oldest is only 3 and my youngest is 3 months. My oldest is the one that gets scary fevers. 

Quoting ShireeCS:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting ShireeCS:

popomill
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I took my son to the ER for a fever once, he woke up in the middle of the night the color of a lobster (seriously) with a 104 fever, I gave him Tylenol and all the did when we got there was give him Motrin and put a wet cloth on his back....I'll never do that again.
I DO how ever take him to the ER for ear infections, I know a lot of people will dissagre with me on this, but when he wakes up at 1 ro 2 in the morning with what I know to be an ear infection I take him to the ER. He has chronic infections so the sooner I can get him a perception the better, plus, the doctor looking into his ears really helps because it can take away some of the pressure.
Other than that, I would do it if he was in a car accident, got seriously hurt in his jiu-jitsu class or what ever.
For me: The last time I went I thought my ear drum ruptured, turned out to be a bad ear infection.

For SO: He's gone for his asthma, broken hand and he recently, like last year, dislocated his AC joint in his shoulder. That was funny looking when his shoulder was a good two-three inches lower than the other one. The hospital bill and doctor bill wasn't too funny though. He doesn't have insurance :(

AMR320
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM
My oldest (now 4) has only been once and it was when she was 4 months and had a fever of 104 and was lethargic.
My youngest (15 months) has never been.
I have only been when pregnant with my oldest and I was vomiting everything I ate or drank even just tiny sips of water and it was mostly bile. I ended up having pancreatitis and was hospitalized for 5 days.
DH had only been for serious injuries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:12 AM
When my son was a few months old he had a double ear infection. His temp got up to 103 and he was laying on the floor with a weak cry and not moving. I called 911 because I was freaked out. They came and said there was nothing they could do. I was like wtf?? Thats messed up.

Quoting ShireeCS:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting ShireeCS:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I wouldn't go for a fever, unless my child was showing other signs that something serious may occur.

If they broke something, were having trouble breathing, bleeding profusely, etc I would take them. Otherwise we go to the walk-in clinics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN