Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

When do you take a child to the ER?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM
  • 19 Replies

I've noticed what constitutes an ER various for each of us on here. So I'm curious to discuss this further. 

For me personally these are reasons I have taken my children to the ER:

*Fever over 102 that does not drop with meds. 

*Fever reaching over 103 regardless of meds. 

*Respiratory distress or asthma related issues

*Dehydration while very sick

Heaven forbid it ever occurs additional reasons I would take them:

*Severe injuries

*Life threatening illness/injury

*car accident

Reasons I have gone myself:

*Coughing up blood

Reasons my husband has gone: 

*Endless bleeding from his butt (turns out he had a blood clot in a hemariod) 

What do you think? What are reasons you have gone/would go? What do you think of my reasons? 

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShireeCS
by Shiree on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Fever reasons I don't agree with.. dd had a fever of over 104 for 5 days and I didn't take her to the er... she was seen though several times. Car accident only if its severe.. I would also go if I can't control my asthma with meds, severe pain, allergic reactions depending on the time of day and severity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Can I ask why not for fevers? Curious? For me it just seems like a serious thing, because high fevers can cause seizures. 

Quoting ShireeCS:

Fever reasons I don't agree with.. dd had a fever of over 104 for 5 days and I didn't take her to the er... she was seen though several times. Car accident only if its severe.. I would also go if I can't control my asthma with meds, severe pain, allergic reactions depending on the time of day and severity.

OBImomma
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM
My ds had a fever seizure (temp was 103). He had a high blood sugar (diagnosed a type 1 diabetic). Thought he dislocated his hip (it was muscle spams). Tooth infection (bc it was our only option)
Dd1. Had milk maids elbow.
Dd2 was having a hard time breathing. She caught ds cold when she was 2 weeks old.

It takes something big for me to take my kids to the ER. I am terrified of doctors so I try and avoid them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShireeCS
by Shiree on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Because they don't get concerned unless they are over 105 and if its a lower grade fever and they are lethargic. I heard that several times from different doctors.

Quoting Nicholy10:

Can I ask why not for fevers? Curious? For me it just seems like a serious thing, because high fevers can cause seizures. 

Quoting ShireeCS:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM
This about the fevers, except our cut off is 104.5. And my dd DOES get seizures from fevers.

Quoting ShireeCS:

Because they don't get concerned unless they are over 105 and if its a lower grade fever and they are lethargic. I heard that several times from different doctors.

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting ShireeCS:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM

My ER has always taken fevers over 103 very seriously, but I guess that is because my children were both preemies. My oldest is only 3 and my youngest is 3 months. My oldest is the one that gets scary fevers. 

Quoting ShireeCS:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting ShireeCS:

popomill
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I took my son to the ER for a fever once, he woke up in the middle of the night the color of a lobster (seriously) with a 104 fever, I gave him Tylenol and all the did when we got there was give him Motrin and put a wet cloth on his back....I'll never do that again.
I DO how ever take him to the ER for ear infections, I know a lot of people will dissagre with me on this, but when he wakes up at 1 ro 2 in the morning with what I know to be an ear infection I take him to the ER. He has chronic infections so the sooner I can get him a perception the better, plus, the doctor looking into his ears really helps because it can take away some of the pressure.
Other than that, I would do it if he was in a car accident, got seriously hurt in his jiu-jitsu class or what ever.
For me: The last time I went I thought my ear drum ruptured, turned out to be a bad ear infection.

For SO: He's gone for his asthma, broken hand and he recently, like last year, dislocated his AC joint in his shoulder. That was funny looking when his shoulder was a good two-three inches lower than the other one. The hospital bill and doctor bill wasn't too funny though. He doesn't have insurance :(

AMR320
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM
My oldest (now 4) has only been once and it was when she was 4 months and had a fever of 104 and was lethargic.
My youngest (15 months) has never been.
I have only been when pregnant with my oldest and I was vomiting everything I ate or drank even just tiny sips of water and it was mostly bile. I ended up having pancreatitis and was hospitalized for 5 days.
DH had only been for serious injuries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:12 AM
When my son was a few months old he had a double ear infection. His temp got up to 103 and he was laying on the floor with a weak cry and not moving. I called 911 because I was freaked out. They came and said there was nothing they could do. I was like wtf?? Thats messed up.

Quoting ShireeCS:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting ShireeCS:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by Ashley on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I wouldn't go for a fever, unless my child was showing other signs that something serious may occur.

If they broke something, were having trouble breathing, bleeding profusely, etc I would take them. Otherwise we go to the walk-in clinics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)