Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Does your family or in-laws ever pressure you about how many kids you should have?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM
  • 63 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you feel pressured?

Options:

yes

no

by some people but not everyone

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

For example If you have one child and only want one do they ever pressure you to have more?

or

If you have two (i have two living children, a boy and a girl my other son passed away) do you ever get pressured to not have more?

Everyone thinks because we have a boy and a girl that we should be done having kids but hubby and I do not feel this way we want to have a total of 4 or 5 kids and are trying to conceive but def not telling anyone in the family that or they would give us crap. We can afford it and we are the ones taking care of them. How do you handle comments about your choices?

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I get a ton of pressure to NOT have any more kids from my family and then a ton of pressure to pop out boys from my husband's family. I mostly just ignore it or gently remind that our reproductive choices are just that, OUR reproductive choices.

Mommy383
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Let them know when they carry the child and provide financial support, they may be a part of the decision. That usually shuts them up.
TigOlBitties
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Not pressure, but they do keep mentioning that our 2 year old is "in need of a playmate" that apparently should come from my uterus. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM
I just let it go in one ear and out the other. Nothing is going to get them to stop voicing their opinions so just ignore it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frzmamaof4
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Dh and I just had our fourth child 6 weeks ago and I chose to get my tubes tied. But I didn't feel any pressure from our immediate family, but I know that some people had something to say about. But I don't give a damn what anyone says because we take care of our children, they don't!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamarama333
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM
My parents are consistently saying no more babies. They are getting a surprise in a few weeks. dh and I are very happy. He also just got a substantial raise at work. I kept everything from my other kids so I have boy and girl stuff.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Well my MIL will make comments like you netter not have any more kids, you'll be "free" next year! (Youngest starts kindergarten) or when you guys gonna try for a girl?! I have all these things I am saving for her....she is so.confusing! Lol
EmmaGlenn20
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM
My grandparents are constantly telling me "two is more than enough, you don't want any more"...
My husband's family always pressures us for a boy because my DH is the last with the family name. We have two girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jrogillio
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM
No BIL & his wife have all the pressure on them. Bc they are expecting #5 so that takes focus off of us. We have 2 and TTC #3.

I hear all the comments about "are they ever gonna stop", " hasn't she heard of birth control or condoms", "effin Brady bunch over there" and I just shake my head like "wow really??"
rockabell.2009
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM

LOL that sounds like my grandma. My grandmother will hound me about whether or not I am on birth control and then if we deicde to donate some of my sons clothes and other items he has grown out of she says "why don't you save incase you have another baby" and i'm like ugh lol

Quoting PeaceMuch:

Well my MIL will make comments like you netter not have any more kids, you'll be "free" next year! (Youngest starts kindergarten) or when you guys gonna try for a girl?! I have all these things I am saving for her....she is so.confusing! Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)