Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Does anyone else here NOT celebrate any holidays?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM
  • 18 Replies
Someone in a different group...said they do no holidays, but on holidays go donate there time to charity. Not religious reasons or anything.

Im all for charity but I could never take Christmas from my kids! Not to mention we ARE religious and celebrate that as well. It just shocked me to read.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChancesMommy07
by Jessica on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM

My son has a boy in his class that doesn't celebrate holidays. His parents came in and tried to make it so that there would be no mentions of holidays in the class, no parties or holiday crafts, etc. They were pissed when that didn't happen. 

AdoptingMommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM
its not uncommon. Jahova (spelling) witnesses do not celebrate holidays.

We make sure to teach our child the true meaning of Christmas, not that its just some special gift day!
She will pick 1 present and donate it, they will be wrapped so she wont know if its a $10 toy or $200 toy/system

I am a believer of giving and sharing and not just spending tons to show them the say is about matetial things bc it isnt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmybug
by Amanda on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM

i will celebrate the commercial Christmas, not the Christian Christmas. but we will still be celebrating. i couldn't take that away from dd.

CheyennesMommy2
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Yea but this woman had no relugious reason.

We adopted.a family this year and the kids pickrd out and wrapped the presents. im all for that, but to not let kids have any christmas. Its sad to me. And we dont even do "santa claus" ..its still just an amazing yime of year.

Quoting AdoptingMommy:

We make sure to teach our child the true meaning of Christmas, not that its just some special gift day!

She will pick 1 present and donate it, they will be wrapped so she wont know if its a $10 toy or $200 toy/system

I am a believer of giving and sharing and not just spending tons to show them the say is about matetial things bc it isnt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Ha. Thats crazy. Did she really think that was gonna happen?

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

My son has a boy in his class that doesn't celebrate holidays. His parents came in and tried to make it so that there would be no mentions of holidays in the class, no parties or holiday crafts, etc. They were pissed when that didn't happen. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Dd had a kid in her class in pre k whose family didnt either. But they just kept the kid home one party days

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Jessica on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Apparently so. She ranted for 20 minutes at a PTO meeting about it until 90 percent of the moms there told her to sit down and be quiet. So now when there is a party or holiday crafts or something of the sort he has to sit across the room doing something else. I think its ridiculous and it would make for a pretty rotten childhood.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Ha. Thats crazy. Did she really think that was gonna happen?

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

ChancesMommy07
by Jessica on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:25 AM

These nut jobs went way beyond just the party days. They wanted no mention of any holiday period to be allowed in the class. No books, no crafts, nothing.

Quoting Fields456:

Dd had a kid in her class in pre k whose family didnt either. But they just kept the kid home one party days

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

AdoptingMommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM
If she isnt religious she shouldnt celebrate it, Its a Godly day. To make it about gifts ect and not about Jesus Christ makes no sense to me.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Yea but this woman had no relugious reason.

We adopted.a family this year and the kids pickrd out and wrapped the presents. im all for that, but to not let kids have any christmas. Its sad to me. And we dont even do "santa claus" ..its still just an amazing yime of year.

Quoting AdoptingMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM
It could be her upbringing. It may not have to be a religious reason why she doesn't celebrate any holiday.

Some like you don't do Santa. That's fine. Its a magical time of year anyways. My kids know the true meaning of Christmas. We celebrate the birth of Christ. But Santa still comes and visits. Not all of my gifts are from Santa. This year the biggest one will be from me. And it wont be a hot toy or anything. It's something the kids want and I can do for them. Not Santa.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)