Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

in laws...long and swearing...

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM
  • 3 Replies

gotta love to heat them, right?

Seriously though, I feel as if I have been blessed with some pretty decent in laws. But sometimes, I just want to wring some necks and maybe knock some sense into them. 

Latest escapade: starting with a slight back story, Sis in law, her 18 month old, and husband are living with husbands (sis in laws) parents for a temporary thing. Husband just got out of the army, and they moved back in July/August, so while they get situated and find a place to call their own and everything, they are there. 

Last weekend, husband, our daughter and I went in for 2 nights, because mother in law informed me of a craft fair at her church that she got me a booth at. While we were there, we had to listen to sis in law rag on mom in law about numerous things. Sis in law is bipolar I think, and she hasn't gotten back on meds since baby was weaned or anything. Anyways, my dh (just to reiterate, it would be her brother lol) put it on whatever channel the bears game was on. Well it was still 30 mins out, sis in law came in and bitched that it was selfish because her daughter and our daughter couldn't watch some show she was going to put on, mind you neither daughter is even in the living room, or whining about wanting to watch something. They get into a little cat fight about it, and she apoligizes an hour later. That wasn't the only thing she erupted about that weekend. She gets into a tiff about the smallest things, and will yell at mom about it, mostly because mom will commment something about it too. She also told dad in law he was selfish because he bought an ipad from my dhs work and she couldn't take the classes she wants (another short story: sis in law started college this fall, didn't get fafsa in on time, so mom and dad in law are helping her out). She also gets mad at mom in law because she wants to get out to the store, and take her dhs sister home because she has a lot to do. she was mad because she needed to get the credit card from her dh at work so that she could go buy another present for their daughter, and she told me there aren't really anything toys or anything I can get their daughter because they feel bad that they are poor this year, so they are getting her a crap ton of stuff (nothing wrong with that I suppose, but when she is sitting there bitching because she isn't able to take the classes she wants, because dad in law spent HIS money on something he wanted, well it looks kinda stupid) 

Well, onto why I am so mad (which I will never get in the middle of it, just need to vent and maybe get some advice for my dh) we are going in again this weekend because dh brother is coming out and we are doing our christmas with them. Well we were going to get a hotel (the house has 4 bedrooms. my neice has one, parent in laws one, one was being reno'd and sis in law and dh just got their bed set moved in, and the room they were staying in) but since the one room is open, we were asked to stay there and save money, no problem, dh asked his mom to talk to sis about her outbursts and asked if she could maybe calm it down for the weekend and keep things sane for everyone. Well, we have no clue exactly what mom in law said, but sis in law sent a nasty text to dh saying he was an asshole and that he would never have anything to do with her daughter again. Real mature, huh?

It just pisses me off, and makes me sad that is comes to stuff like this. There was a time when for whatever dumb reason I wasn't talking to sis in law, and she wasn't talking to me, this was before she got married, so she was still living at home. Yet, I never said, well I don't like you, so I am going to deprive my daughter of spending time with you and her grandparents, ya know? I thought about it, and dh tried saying it, but I never let him, because I don't feel that is in any way fair to my daughter.

I think that sis in law thinks my he will plant things in her head or hurt her or something, just because they are mad and not talking to each other. I have a strong feeling it is that because back a lonnnnng while ago, we were in for a week when I was preggo, and they got into some fight about whatever, and she took her dog over to a friends so that my dh wouldn't hurt the dog while she went to work. She serisouly thought that just because they fought, he would hurt her dog or something. He never even threatened the dog in the course of the fight, or ever actually. 

I think this is realllllly long, but I just had to vent and maybe someone has some kind of advice.

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Jlu88
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM

bump

snackcakes
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Well, it sure sounds like you just dont like her, which from what you said, is understandable. I would honestly just stay out of it and let them deal with it. I know its really annoying to sit there and see all this unfold right in front of you, but sometimes its better to be above the drama. Better to have 1 crazy then 2 crazies!good

Jlu88
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM
I love her, but not the stuff she pulls. She can be a really great person when she wants.
I am going to stay out if it, I always have. It is stressful as heck not being able to do anything about it though.

I think it doesn't help that when they are back home, or anyone, we revert back to the roles we played a little. because this stuff hardly came up at all when they were on their own, only when she came to visit or now that she is living there

Quoting snackcakes:

Well, it sure sounds like you just dont like her, which from what you said, is understandable. I would honestly just stay out of it and let them deal with it. I know its really annoying to sit there and see all this unfold right in front of you, but sometimes its better to be above the drama. Better to have 1 crazy then 2 crazies!good

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)