Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

IF YOU ARE FAT, YOU ARE A BAD MOTHER *EDIT

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question:

Options:

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 0

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR OPINIONS. THEY WERE VERY INTERESTING.

POLL IS NOW CLOSED.

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Replies (21-30):
akanini
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think being overweight makes you a bad mom... but I think making your children overweight is. I work in a restaurant and see parents who bring their kids in many times a week, giving them all the soda, ice cream, high calorie high fat food they can handle. It is so sad, becasue children don't have the intellectual development to realize future consequences of those meal choices, but that is why children have parents. I don't care if you need to drink 4 cokes with your 1000 calorie meal, you are an adult making that choice for yourself. But if you are allowing your child to do the same, that is not ok.

Wydowness
by Kusabi on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:56 AM
No I don't think someone's weight is a factor in how good of a parent they are. Mother's come in all shapes and heights.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NyiaBaby216
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:22 AM
Still dont think it constitutes bad parent no matter what way you look at it.
If the kids arent taken care of or whatever the case may be, thats being a bad parent. I dont think weight should categorize women as far as parenting. What about underweight women?

Quoting Page98:

I mean if you are fat because you dont take care of yourself. (i.e you dont eat right, you dont exercise, etc.) 

I'll edit. 

Quoting NyiaBaby216:

I picked other, because Im not fat. I dont believe that overweight equals bad parent. Especially because it's not always someones lifestyle, that causes them to be that way. There ARE other factors

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NyiaBaby216
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I'll be damned if my kids eat that way. Theyre almost 3 and 4 and have had maybe 4 sips of soda their whole lives. SO and I are against them drinking it ever, but if its all thats available, they can have a TASTE. They get ice cream once a mth IF that, and only get the outside food like burgers or something if we're moving around all day and theres nothing better. I wont leave my home to go eat fast food. If we go eat, it'll be somewhere that serves real food, no processed garbage.

Quoting akanini:

I don't think being overweight makes you a bad mom... but I think making your children overweight is. I work in a restaurant and see parents who bring their kids in many times a week, giving them all the soda, ice cream, high calorie high fat food they can handle. It is so sad, becasue children don't have the intellectual development to realize future consequences of those meal choices, but that is why children have parents. I don't care if you need to drink 4 cokes with your 1000 calorie meal, you are an adult making that choice for yourself. But if you are allowing your child to do the same, that is not ok.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:44 AM
2 moms liked this
I chose other. I think that you should always do you best to be a good example.

I am over weight, by about 80lbs. I am pregnant with my 3rd child, technically 4th. Not pregnant im about 60lbs over weight, also I had my kids back to back. I also have a thyroid problem, that has been finally worked out and treated.

Do my kids eat junk food because im fat? No. do I? No. I am high risk other wise I would be working out at the gym. I also have a gym membership and do plan on loosing the weight.

Honestly most overweight ppl are trying to loose weight..its a hard thing to do. I personally think people who have eating disorders that put it out in the open for there kids to see, have issues. A froend of mine developed anorexia after watching her mothers behavior. Its sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 5:32 AM
I think teaching nutrition and excersize skills is important. I think it is important to be active enough to enjoy your children, run around and play with them. I also think being over weight can be caused by so many things so many times you can be healthy and over weight (a lot of skinny people are not healthy in their life style)

If you are over weight (I am) I feel as though you can use that to teach your children confidence no matter what and teach them self value and Beaty does not come only by being like the models in magazines.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teddysmama09
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:16 AM
9 moms liked this

I don't usually come on this board (although I technically can for 9 more months!) but i happened to stumble upon this post.

I just want to say, I don't think you have to be "fat" to be setting a poor example of diet and excercise. I  am 115 pounds (5'6). I am thin and always have been. I feed my family healthy meals, but I personally have a tendency to eat junkfood, snack and I don't excercise. We aren't sedentary by any means, but I don't exactly have a work out routine. I'm not exactly a role model for healthy living, but I have a super fast metabolism. I think this may actually be more dangerous for my daughter than if I were fat. Since I'm thin my daughter will be able to reason "well mom eats this way and she's not fat, so it must be ok." But it's not ok, and I really have too battle with myself and remind myself that I am setting a bad example for my kids.

Furthermore, "fit" moms aren't always the best role models either. Many of these women who obsess over diet and excercise can actually have a negative impact on their kids, especially girls. They can make food into an enemy and cause their daughters to obsess over body image, which in turn can lead to eating disorders and depression.

I think we all just need to eat well in front of our kids, be active (even if that means taking a walk to the park rather than a turn on the treadmill) and not obsess over how we look. These are things ALL mothers have to put into practice and I would wager ALL mothers struggle with, not just the overweight ones.

sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:17 AM
3 moms liked this

This is a stupid question. I'm overweight. I have bad eating habits, and I don't exercise. My son has fantastic eating habits, and all he does is run and play. Looks like I did something right. I have to stay up all night on the computer working three different WAH jobs to make ends meet because my husband makes shitty pay, and I have my son to play with all day along with the boy I babysit for more money. Let me be frank: I have better shit to worry about than my own meals and an exercise regimen. I do what I do with my son, and I eat when I have a moment to myself, which by the way isn't very often. I don't got time for the bullshit of worrying about stupid opinions such as the one that "fat mothers are bad mothers", and anyone who thinks so is laughable and needs to find a new hobby to sharpen their soft mind and take up some of their time.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends really. 

I am slightly overweight (about 10 lbs).  I am actively working to change it, but it's hard to lose it. 

What I know is, I want to be around to watch my kids and grandkids grow up.  I want to have the energy and health to run and play with them.  I want to show them through my actions how to take care of themselves and make wise choices for their health and happiness. 

IF I were obese, I would not be demonstrating those traits and expectations. 

Cassidysmom611
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I am fat, but both of my children are very healthy and my oldest is very skinny. A lot of my weight issues stem from years of heavy use of streiods for my severe asthma. I don't sit and eat all day, and I have one severing at meals. I can assure you fat or not I am a damn good parent. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)