Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

do you do anything special to afford Christmas?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM
  • 16 Replies
For the last 3 years, we have supplemented our Christmas budget by baking platters of goodies and selling them. Last year we had 26 platters and over 900 servings of 11 baking options... We made it in a commercial kitchen and I have my foodsafe, so I can sell it all without worrying about being shut down by the health inspector.

Anyway, we are donating a portion of our proceeds this year to a mission team going to Ethiopia next year, but I think we will still come out a few hundred dollars ahead, which makes Christmas shopping much much easier!

Do you do anything special to afford gifts? (p.s. We have a lot of people between our families to buy for - other than our kid and each other, we don't spend more than $25 per person and no more than maybe $100 on all three of us... It just makes it so we can afford more than $5-$10 on each person, though we have found that if you hit the right sales that little bit can still go a long way!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HisUsmcWifey
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM
No not really. I try to buy throughout the year and get the best sales but we don't do anything like you do OP. We are also a cash only family when it comes to Christmas, we don't use credit cards or go into debt to provide a good Christmas for our daughter. :0)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FoxTales
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
that's smart! We have also tried to buy over the last few months, but it is nice to be able to "pay ourselves back" into our savings if necessary. And I agree with you on the credit cards!! The only time we use them for Christmas is for online purchases, and then I go to our online banking and pay the amount with the memo "Mom's Christmas gift" or whatever, so it doesn't slip away or accumulate interest.

Quoting HisUsmcWifey:

No not really. I try to buy throughout the year and get the best sales but we don't do anything like you do OP. We are also a cash only family when it comes to Christmas, we don't use credit cards or go into debt to provide a good Christmas for our daughter. :0)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisUsmcWifey
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Now that I think about it I do resell her clothes from time to time. Normally I use that money along with what I make with my business to buy clothes for the coming season but sometimes I use that $ for a gift she may have asked Santa to bring.

Quoting FoxTales:

that's smart! We have also tried to buy over the last few months, but it is nice to be able to "pay ourselves back" into our savings if necessary. And I agree with you on the credit cards!! The only time we use them for Christmas is for online purchases, and then I go to our online banking and pay the amount with the memo "Mom's Christmas gift" or whatever, so it doesn't slip away or accumulate interest.

Quoting HisUsmcWifey:

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Not really, I start shopping in August. We dont have a budget or limit.
Brandy85412
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM
We just save all year long. DH set up an automatic Christmas savings that takes money out of his paycheck every check.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Jessica on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Nope. I buy stuff pretty much all year that I put away for either DS birthday or Christmas but its more for convenience than anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kewi86
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I buy gifts accordeing to the person personality and likes.  If I'm buying for alot of people I keep a budget so that I don't go overboard with it.

HisMommy4Ever
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Nah. But what you do is good!....Never really thought about that...I think this year we will finally have our own little xmas. My SO is getting paid on the 19th so we will buy our son his xmas presents then....we don't really know what to do to make some money and my SO does not know how to save money if his life depended on it lol

FoxTales
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Bump :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Not really. I just add christmas into my yearly budget.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)