Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How do you prepare for daycare?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM
  • 8 Replies
I applied for a job and the owner is taking me on wednesday at 10:30 for a try.

Dd (18mo) has to go to daycare fir the first time..she has been babysitted by family a few times but not that often that she would be used to.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about going to the daycare with her tomorrow so she could get familiar with the place and the other kids.

Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Sadie_J_0202
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't know about your daycare, but mine made me come in with Jude twice just to get him used to it. Given that your kid is 18 months, it might be a little more difficult. Pack with him things that will make him comfortable, like a favorite blanket for nap time. Chances are, he'll find that daycare is fun, and will adapt to it on his own.

JerrysMom2011
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Go to daycare with your Dd tommorow, let her get familliar with it, then leave for a while, watch from a distance if you can, go out to lunch or something, then come backand get her. Make sure you let her take some of her stuff to daycare with her, like blankie, or a fav toy or something she always sleeps with. It will take some adjusting for the both of you (you more so then her). 

When I took my Ds to daycare for the first time it was a weeks process before the big day. Still have problems dropping him off (this morning he waved to me out the window as he was crying) and its been since september since he has been in there. She will cry for you at first, BUT i promise you she WILL get over it during the day, she will be so excited to see you at the end of day. Plus all those "firsts" daycare will share with you all her drawings etc. 

My son is 15 months started daycare when he was 1. 

Mamapanda1030
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter loved it, loves it, and to this day acts like I'm kidnapping her if we try to pick her up early. :( Little girl is too damn independent.

catherine_b
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Thank you! That is very helpful. I will pack a little bag for her to bring.

But I know daycare is 50-50...so it's also about me loll that will be hard!

Quoting JerrysMom2011:

Go to daycare with your Dd tommorow, let her get familliar with it, then leave for a while, watch from a distance if you can, go out to lunch or something, then come backand get her. Make sure you let her take some of her stuff to daycare with her, like blankie, or a fav toy or something she always sleeps with. It will take some adjusting for the both of you (you more so then her). 

When I took my Ds to daycare for the first time it was a weeks process before the big day. Still have problems dropping him off (this morning he waved to me out the window as he was crying) and its been since september since he has been in there. She will cry for you at first, BUT i promise you she WILL get over it during the day, she will be so excited to see you at the end of day. Plus all those "firsts" daycare will share with you all her drawings etc. 

JerrysMom2011
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes you are right!!! Daycare is 50-50....it helps my Ds to eat as soon as he gets there so that he is distracted when he gets there and he will be too excited to eat breakfast! Maybe this might be something for you to do to..even if she eats before she goes to daycare, even suggesting putting her in a high chair and giving her some cherrios or something might help! 

Quoting catherine_b:

Thank you! That is very helpful. I will pack a little bag for her to bring.

But I know daycare is 50-50...so it's also about me loll that will be hard!

Quoting JerrysMom2011:

JerrysMom2011
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM

update on daycare?

catherine_b
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Thanks for asking!

It went really well :) Doris said she did cry the first few minutes, but she quickly noticed the other kids and started playing with them. She even took a 1.5h nap!! She doesn't even sleep that long at home..

I was busy enough not to be able to think about her every minute, but I was soooo happy to pick her up! Good thing the daycare is 2 houses from ours :)

Quoting JerrysMom2011:

update on daycare?

JerrysMom2011
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM

See i told you :) lol......

Quoting catherine_b:

Thanks for asking!

It went really well :) Doris said she did cry the first few minutes, but she quickly noticed the other kids and started playing with them. She even took a 1.5h nap!! She doesn't even sleep that long at home..

I was busy enough not to be able to think about her every minute, but I was soooo happy to pick her up! Good thing the daycare is 2 houses from ours :)

Quoting JerrysMom2011:

update on daycare?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN