Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do y'all fell about spanking...

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM
  • 21 Replies
My DH and MIL think that the only way to get through to a child is to spank them... constantly. I don't agree with that. I would rather try time out and talking to the child before I resort to spanking. It is impossible to change their minds. From what I know about my MIL, she was very mean to my DH and his BIL. Her way to control them and their behave was to spank them. I didn't grow up like that. I am very frustrated and don't know what else to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmmaZate
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM
I am pro spanking, but not constantly. I have spanked my dd a handful of times, all of which involved her doing something dangerous or not listening or responding to other punishments
beadingmom17
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Pretty much this. I can also say that it doesn't work for every child. My oldest doesn't respond to spanking, my youngest does. But I reserve it for extreme punishment.

Quoting EmmaZate:

I am pro spanking, but not constantly. I have spanked my dd a handful of times, all of which involved her doing something dangerous or not listening or responding to other punishments
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Page98
3 moms liked this
I would never resolve a problem by hitting anybody as an adult, so I refuse to do it with my own child.

SamsMama24

I agree with you, im against it. They're your kids so you dicipline  them how you see fit, it's not up to them...

MamaPeanut
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I am 100% no spanking.

I will not ever hit my children.

I have plenty of other options for discipline.
CheyennesMommy2
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Same

Quoting MamaPeanut:

I am 100% no spanking.

I will not ever hit my children.

I have plenty of other options for discipline.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
problemorchoice
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I am completly against spanking and any kind of physical discipline.  I believe that both children, and animals alike deserve respect and have the mental capacity to understand right from wrong without spanking.  My fiance is on the complete opposite side of the spectrum and believes that if our dog or our child does something wrong, that the only way to curb it is by spanking them in the butt.  I've had many discussions with him about it.  All I have managed to achieve is a sore throat.  In the end, I just know that I myself will never do it. 

momof2891
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM
I will spank them only if they have done something dangerous or if they aren't listening and I have tried everything else I know to try to get their attention or to try to get them to do something.
Paperfishies
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM
I'm completely, 100% against spanking. I believe it to be abuse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberandmonker
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM

We do time out.. Take away a toy for a period of time.. And sometimes he gets a pat on the butt.. Not often though and not hard enough to leave a mark. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)