Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bed without a movie..

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is 2 years old and refuses to lay down without a movie on she wont even stay in her room, is this bad for her to be watching a movie while going to sleep if so does anyone have some tips on how to bring this to an end...or is it ok will she just grow out of it?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heartagram_girl
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

My nephew does the same thing. It calms him down, gives him a reliable schedule to follow. We put a movie on and he knows that it is bedtime. We turn it off when the movie goes off. He is almost 5 and no problems in the sleep department. Besides, the sounds from the movie covers up any loud sound that anyone may be making. It is your personal choice.

CafeMom Tickers
lclmom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Quoting heartagram_girl:

My nephew does the same thing. It calms him down, gives him a reliable schedule to follow. We put a movie on and he knows that it is bedtime. We turn it off when the movie goes off. He is almost 5 and no problems in the sleep department. Besides, the sounds from the movie covers up any loud sound that anyone may be making. It is your personal choice.

Ok thank you, i feel better all ready my husband seems to think its really bad for her but with out it i dont get any sleep cause she wont sleep without it unless she is in bed with me which i am trying to prevent im just wanting to make sure its not harming her or bad for her development

heartagram_girl
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM

My brother asked the doctor. Doctor said there are plenty of studies done, but they all say something different. He said for the family to just use personal judgement. If it works out better with the movie, then the doc said it may be better in the long run. BTW, we never had a problem with my nephew wanting to sleep in the bed with us- we frown upon that. But that is how we were raised- kids slept in their own bed.

CafeMom Tickers
lclmom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM

well its kinda my fault she became so dependant on sleeping with me, she was a still born baby un responsive for 5 min miracle she is alive cord was wrapped around her neck twice and body 3 times my delivery doc said he had never seen anything like it, i was very nervouse when she was born i was around her all the time and she refused to sleep in crib and i was afraid to let her cry to long so she started sleeping with me but i didint stop it soon enough so now the only thing keeping her from sleeping with me is movie with bed

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

It's not something I would be comfortable with, but it's your child. I think children need to learn to fall asleep without outside stimuli at some point and it's always easiest to set those good habits early. I'm not a fan of tvs in bedrooms in general though. All of the studies I've read have linked it to obesity, sleep problems, etc. But the bottom line for me is that it doesn't promote a peaceful and calm place to sleep.

If it was me I would just set a bedtime routine early and stick with it. For example, bath, pjs, brush teeth, story, sleep. When DS was two I made a chart for him using all pictures so that he could se ewhat was next for him in his bedtime routine.

If you're comfortable with the tv putting her to sleep then that's really up to you. It's your child and your household.

coupon_ash_back
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It is calming and soon those little eyes will get heavy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bfairbanks
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM
My dd sleeps with the tv on every night, but she gets it from me I sleep with the tv in to. I don't see anything wrong with it because she doesn't watch it just likes having it on.
busymom64064
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM
I see nothing wrong with it. We turn on a fan or a white noise machine for my son :) lol. if we forget it (which sometimes we accidentally do), he usually yells saying we forgot!!
Chakita0912
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

My daughter is three and she watches cars to go to sleep.. She is the same way as your daughter.. The way I see it isn't a bad thing.. It is like a sercuity blanket.. My daughter has been sleeping with a movie for about a year.. At first we didn't do it, but now that she is getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom it serves as at night light..

noahmommie2012
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM
my 10 month old dont do to bed without watching something. he been doing that for 4 months now. that is the only way i got him to sleep at bed time but i cuddle and everything with him during bedtime and he cry and throw a fit if i dont do it or stays up til i put a movie on. my step son who si 10 have the tv all nigt long to help him sleep with a fan. but everyone parenting is different. do what you guys think is best. there no wrong way to do this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)