Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cooking my first turkey... Need some suggestions Please!!!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm going to be cooking my first turkey ever for christmas eve any recipes? I'm terrified to mess it up, 15 people are depending on me for it to taste good lol.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cLanief
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Get a turkey bag!!!! Except the last half hour open the top so the skin can get a bit crispy. It keeps it from drying out and make sure to stuff that cavity with something... doesn't matter what and you don't have to eat whatever you stick in it. I've done taters and I've done apples.
Oh and butter under the skin! And don't skimp on the seasonings.

And dont forget to take the yuckies out of both holes.

And domy do what I did on turkey day... let it sit out of the oven for more than 20 mins so that when you cut it doesn't automatically dry out!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM

These are some good ideas.

I don't use a turkey bag, I just cover mine with foil and then uncover it for the last 30-45 minutes. I also don't stuff it with anything. I did cover mine this year with bacon like this.

Quoting cLanief:

Get a turkey bag!!!! Except the last half hour open the top so the skin can get a bit crispy. It keeps it from drying out and make sure to stuff that cavity with something... doesn't matter what and you don't have to eat whatever you stick in it. I've done taters and I've done apples.

And domy do what I did on turkey day... let it sit out of the oven for more than 20 mins so that when you cut it doesn't automatically dry out!

kary1124
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM

im cooking one for christmas eve also and im planning on cooking it with lemon and persley...

cLanief
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM
I love cooking mine in a bag cuz it means I really dont have to clean the pan!
And bacon wrapped turkey is what I'm doing next year!

And I stuff mine with something to give it a bit more flavor or keep it from dryi g from the inside out.

Quoting funhappymom:

These are some good ideas.

I don't use a turkey bag, I just cover mine with foil and then uncover it for the last 30-45 minutes. I also don't stuff it with anything. I did cover mine this year with bacon like this.

Quoting cLanief:

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM
I just made the best turkey ever!! On Thanksgiving.
http://shewearsmanyhats.com/2011/11/mayonnaise-roasted-turkey/
That is the recipe I used. It was seriously amazing!!

VirgoMom07
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I rub my turkey with olive oil inside and out, sprinkle salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and rosemary (again, inside and out). Stuff the cavity with a quartered onion, some celery, and carrots, just for added flavor. And put a ton of butter under te skin. Comes out great every time! Good luck!
ambermarie2006
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Butter under the skin, rub with melted butter and herbs, cover with foil until last 40 mins. It makes the moistest turkey, my family begs me to make the family turkeys now lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonkeyMommyNJ
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM

a flavor injector works amazing.. i season some butter.. and stab and inject the whole darn think all over.. makes the turkey very juicy and the flavor is in every bite.. you can add fresh herbs.. cheese.. prescuito (spell) .. anything you want.. you dont have to use butter but i feel that it helps the turkey stay moist through out.. cover with foil till the very end when its time to crisp the outside.. the sell the injectors at walmart .. i got mine for just under $10

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)