Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my dd is the hardest kid to feed

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM
  • 19 Replies

My dd is 2 and she hates real food. She like mac n cheese, hot dogs, and other snack but when it comes to dinners she refuses and I end up giving her a stinking hotdog so she doesn't starve =[ How can I get her to eat real food like speghetti or meatloaf or ANYTHING!?!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoxyJI
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Stop giving her junk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Don't give her the option of junk. She'll eat if she's hungry. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ruby_jewel_04
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Be the Mom and tell her no. make her eat real food. Don't buy the crap she wants. She won't let herself starve. When she gets hungry enough she'll eat real food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

First be glad she is eating something.  DS is not a picky eater at all but he only eats what he wants when he wants.  He loves pasta with butter and cheese, but he isn't a fan of red sauce.  He will eat half of what is on my plate before he'd eat 2 bites of the exact same thing off of his. 

Try small bites and encourage her to try things.  Try some different sauces on it and to dip it in.  DS likes to lick sauce off of things until it is gone and then he will eat what he is dipping. 

Maybe try serving yourself and taking a portion off your plate for her so she knows you are eating it too.  

If she doesn't eat dinner at dinner time but is hungry a little while later offer her the dinner food again.  If she sees that that is her only option she will end up eating.  

feliciasmith
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Quoting Firenygirl180:

First be glad she is eating something.  DS is not a picky eater at all but he only eats what he wants when he wants.  He loves pasta with butter and cheese, but he isn't a fan of red sauce.  He will eat half of what is on my plate before he'd eat 2 bites of the exact same thing off of his. 

Try small bites and encourage her to try things.  Try some different sauces on it and to dip it in.  DS likes to lick sauce off of things until it is gone and then he will eat what he is dipping. 

Maybe try serving yourself and taking a portion off your plate for her so she knows you are eating it too.  

If she doesn't eat dinner at dinner time but is hungry a little while later offer her the dinner food again.  If she sees that that is her only option she will end up eating.  

thanks! I'll try that, she's always been petite and honestly I'd rather she eat anything then nothing. She's stubborn. She's hungry at dinner and we make her sit in front of her plate for dinner time and even a while after as well but I'm not the kind of heartless mom who sends her baby to bed hungry.

CrimsonGrace
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Watch the portions you give her too, some kids feel overwhelmed with the amount of food, so they just won't eat it. She is probably entering a picky stage due to age as well, I refuse to send my kids to bed without something to eat, so I won't do the "they won't starve themselves approach". I know they won't starve, but they will not be full.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you are doing the right thing.  I can understand not wanting to send your kid to bed hungry, but I think after the first night of not eating dinner at dinner and not eating it when she is hungry she will realize that she has to at least try whatever it is.  

Of course if she truly doesn't like something that is a different story.  

If you are really worried about sending her to bed hungry then only offer her something bland and unfun like crackers or a cheese sandwich or something similar.  

Also if she gets a snack before dinner you could make it a smaller snack or eliminate it completely and see if that helps.

Quoting feliciasmith:

Quoting Firenygirl180:

thanks! I'll try that, she's always been petite and honestly I'd rather she eat anything then nothing. She's stubborn. She's hungry at dinner and we make her sit in front of her plate for dinner time and even a while after as well but I'm not the kind of heartless mom who sends her baby to bed hungry.

aimlee
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

my daughter was the same way. she is alittle over 2 now. I used to make 5-6 different meals and my dh got so mad at me. I couldnt let her go hungry. what I did is make it more appealing to her. I found sauce she liked (ketchup, bbq sauce) and let her dip it in. If it was spaghetti, I first let her eat it plain (yea i know but she liked it) and then gradually moved to the sauce on it. I still praise her. I will say "if you try it mommy will get your dora cup or if you eat you can take a bubble bath". I know I shouldnt do that, but it worked and now I dont do it as often. I tell her if you try it and hate it, I wont make you eat it. 90%of the time she likes it and eats. She loves finger foods and feeding herself with her spoon and fork. I started mixing vegetables into the mac and cheese. (corn, peas carrots) and now she loves it with it. I know its hard and seems like you will never got out of this hole but I dealt with it for a year and when she ate my meatloaf one night, my neighbors probably heard me screaming with joy! if she loves to dip her food in sauce, let her even if it disgusts you. still goes in the belly! message me if you want more advice. Ive been down this road. it will get better.

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Yep yep

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

Be the Mom and tell her no. make her eat real food. Don't buy the crap she wants. She won't let herself starve. When she gets hungry enough she'll eat real food.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Stop giving in.She won't starve herself.And make sure she's not filling up on milk or juice all day long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)