Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Any moms with a child with sensory processing disorder?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM
  • 5 Replies
My son is 20 months old and they are pretty sure he has this. Is there any thing that really helped your child cope with this? Background story.... About a month ago the doctor recomened we see a dr. For his behavior... So we met this this doctor and since then we have set up a sleep study, had allergy testing done, met with birth to 3 and now im waiting to have a full eval on that we have to have his hearing checked we also have to have his eyes checked out. The one doc is thinking.. ADHD OCD AND bipolar. The only reason they suggested all this is because he is crazy hyperactive. He will literally bounce of my walls and funiture. He is always hitting or getting anger and throwing things etc. HAVE ANY OF YOU MOMS DELT WITH THIS? Any input is welcome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ChancesMommy07
by Jessica on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM
My son has it as a result of premature birth and a prenatal stroke. He's not really hyperactive though. He's got PT and OT since he was a baby and behavioral therapy from 3 until just a few months ago. He has issues with textures, oral aversions, and doesn't deal well with sensory overload situations like big crowds. With the help of therapy and good drs its rare for him to have meltdowns anymore and most people never even know he has the issues that he has. We were given a lot of really good tools and resources to deal with his individual problems.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
delmeg10
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Sounds like my son, but he's Autistic. I don't know a lot about Sensory Processing Disorder. Good luck with his evaluations and tests.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Felicity532
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Hi!  My cousing hands out on the Raisiing Kids with Special Needs group.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115120
 She finds great suupport there.

prissypoptart
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM
My son has spd and autism. He was doing the same things you are describing at 20mo. Running full force into walls and spinning a lot. He also made a lot of humming noises called "stemming". Hes 5 now and requires a 1:1 teacher in a special needs classroom. When he was a toddler we had in home therepy sessions of OT and speech which helped him very much. I reccomend introducing a lot of foods as early as possible if hes already having issues. Make it fun for him. I have so many issues getting mine to eat anything but crunchy foods. Hes just now begining to form words into sentences. Every child is different so its hard to compare one to another. Stick with therepy and you will see a lot of changes happening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RylandsMom11
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

My son is 23 months now and we are starting the eval process for autism. He has been diagnosed with a sensory processing disorder by the OT and ST. Now we are going to see the Developmental Pediatrician next week. My son hits his head at night on the wall just because, rams into walls and doors during the day. He can not go into places that have strong smells or large crowds. Places like monkey joes are great but only if not crowded it gives him the proprioceptive input he needs. I am working on getting a weighted blanket to help at night and nap time. I have heard they work wonders. Def get your son into OT it has def helped me learn to cope with him better at home. But its going to be trial and error for a while until you figure out what works for him. I am still learning!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)