Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Looking for ADHD advice...

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 8 Replies

My 8 year old DS was diagnosed as ADHD a while back and the doc wanted to put him on meds but I decided against it and thought I could deal with it on my own. Now, it has gotten to the worst point ever! He gets frusterated, tries to smack at us, back talks, runs and plays tag in stores, etc.. It's getting so out of hand that I am contemplating medicine... Ugh! I hate to be the parent that cannot control her child so something has got to give.. His favorite word is no.. And it takes everything in me to keep from smacking him in the mouth! 

So, what do I do?? Are there any at home "cures" for this, so to say?

I don't know.. The idea of prescription medicating my child is not something I stand strong for but if that's the only way he will be more respectful and behave better then it may be my only choice...

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AA2.0
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Look into behavioral therapy. There are treatment options that don't involve medication.

claddison
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:41 AM

you can look into the Feingold (sp?) Diet.  it pretty much is eliminating all sources of sugar both natural and added sugars.

my son is 10 1/2 and was diagnosed as ADHD when he was 4.  his case is/was so severe that we had no choice but to medicate.

Deedah86
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:44 AM
You cannot cure it, but if youre really against meds, behavior therapy is a good way to go. Regarding meds, i know there are a lot of things out there that make kids like zombies but if you have a good doctor and stress your concerns, tgere are really good meds out there too that arent so strong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandyj573
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Agreed! Try out behavior therapy! It's been a blessing for us. My ds is 8 as well and had a REALLY rough year at school last year. We tried medication, a non-stimulant, which helped quite a bit BUT he doesn't like to take it AND it gives him mood swings and made him very verbally aggressive! If you want to go the medication route, look at ALL the side effects! After starting medications, ds appeared to have oppositional defiant disorder when in reality that's how the medication was affecting him. We've been doing behavior therapy for 2 months and it's been going very well! He's even stopped his medication over Christmas break. We'll see what his teachers have to say after about a week or two.

In looking for a therapist, make sure they buy into positive behavior support. It's really worked!

Quoting AA2.0:

Look into behavioral therapy. There are treatment options that don't involve medication.

XoXo.Nikki.XoXo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM
My son isn't medicated either. We use behavioral tools at school and home to keep him accountable for his actions and school work. See if the school can work with you on a plan. The guidance counselor at my sons school does a behavioral chart and she meets with him at the end of everyday to score his chart and talk with him. At the end of the week if he meets his goals he picks a prize. Since doing this his grades went from failing to at grade level and above.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boogan1112
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Let me tell you, I am the biggest advocate for medication. If its driving you nuts, imagine what its doing to his brain! I was diagnosed bipolar over 7 years ago and medication has been my best friend. I live a normal life and my brain is so much more calm. The only warning I have is if you do decide to go for meds, make sure they are monitored closely and that he has a good doctor. There are many kinds of meds for ADHD so they need to find one that works for him.

TexasWife
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:17 AM

There is an ADHD group. They may have some more ideas.

Autiziumom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Im so sorry! My son is 8 yrs old. He has autism and no medicine. I take my son on in the raw! I want to encourage u to seek alternatives rather then medicine. But if its too out of hand then dont feel bad!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)