Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

HOW LONG...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:01 AM
  • 21 Replies

I feel as though I can never be truly happy since I had my son. How long does this last?? I am way too emotional for my own good! 

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SOCO101
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:03 AM

It might be time to talk to your doctor about ppd. It was rough that first few weeks, but I was happy, and felt like my life was now complete. 

AleaKat
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:04 AM
There is no time stamp on it. You need to talk about it with someone.
My boys are 5 and 3 and I'm still overly emotional a lot of the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AA2.0
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM
There's no time limit. Talk to your doctor about it now. It could get worse before it gets better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaDee2Bee
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM

i AGREE with everyone else's posts go talk to your doctor.

loren_0710
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM

There is a significant difference between "baby blues" and Post Partum Depression. I do not believe in "baby blues", I really think that baby blues are scapegoat for someone, more or less a pity party. I can say this because I am a Post Partum Depression SURVIVOR, yes I had PPD so bad that it almost took my life. 

Here is what I know about PPD; It shows itself around 2-3 weeks post partum. It can last to 6-8 months post partum (if you are still in a depression, you most likely have another mental illness that needs treatment)

When I first started seeing symptoms of my post partum depression was after my second at around 3 weeks post partum. I had decided very early on (before I was even pregnant) that I wanted to breastfeed for as long as possible, work really hard at it. (With my first, we BF for 2 months with supplement, I wanted to soley BF for 6-8 months) Well when my daughter was only 2 weeks old, we discovered she was lactose intolerant, so sensitive she could not digest my milk. It was unrealistic for me to cut out all dairy products, so we went to soy formula. From there, I entered the darkest place I have ever been, and quickly. Is all I could do day in and day out was think about killing myself, how everyone would be better off with out me. I would not wish any of this on anyone. There is also not enough awareness out there, so I felt ashamed. I felt people would think I was just making up stuff, coping out because I was over whelmed. I became a different person consumed with thoughts of suicide. I finally told my husband and parents that something was REALLY wrong with me when I was about 7 weeks post partum. I called my dr. who just put me on meds and sent me on my way.  

Well the medication made it worse, I felt totally out of control. Finally contacted a physiatrist, went to a several appointments, opted for no medication and then randomly one day (18 weeks post partum) it felt like I woke up from a nightmare. As if I was watching from the outside looking in. I was relieved and 100% back to normal, no dark thoughts and no wanting to turn those thoughts into actions. 

Everyone has different variations of PPD, everyone has different symptoms. My symptoms were extreme, just a step lower from wanting to harm my children. If I hadn't contacted a Psychiatrist, I without a doubt believe I would have not only harmed myself but possibly others. PPD is a serious thing and I do not think people understand and I definitely think people take it way to lightly.  

katinahat
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

The bolded is inaccurate. Postpartum depression can arise up to a year after childbirth and last multiple years if not treated properly. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004481/

Quoting loren_0710:

There is a significant difference between "baby blues" and Post Partum Depression. I do not believe in "baby blues", I really think that baby blues are scapegoat for someone, more or less a pity party. I can say this because I am a Post Partum Depression SURVIVOR, yes I had PPD so bad that it almost took my life. 

Here is what I know about PPD; It shows itself around 2-3 weeks post partum. It can last to 6-8 months post partum (if you are still in a depression, you most likely have another mental illness that needs treatment)

When I first started seeing symptoms of my post partum depression was after my second at around 3 weeks post partum. I had decided very early on (before I was even pregnant) that I wanted to breastfeed for as long as possible, work really hard at it. (With my first, we BF for 2 months with supplement, I wanted to soley BF for 6-8 months) Well when my daughter was only 2 weeks old, we discovered she was lactose intolerant, so sensitive she could not digest my milk. It was unrealistic for me to cut out all dairy products, so we went to soy formula. From there, I entered the darkest place I have ever been, and quickly. Is all I could do day in and day out was think about killing myself, how everyone would be better off with out me. I would not wish any of this on anyone. There is also not enough awareness out there, so I felt ashamed. I felt people would think I was just making up stuff, coping out because I was over whelmed. I became a different person consumed with thoughts of suicide. I finally told my husband and parents that something was REALLY wrong with me when I was about 7 weeks post partum. I called my dr. who just put me on meds and sent me on my way.  

Well the medication made it worse, I felt totally out of control. Finally contacted a physiatrist, went to a several appointments, opted for no medication and then randomly one day (18 weeks post partum) it felt like I woke up from a nightmare. As if I was watching from the outside looking in. I was relieved and 100% back to normal, no dark thoughts and no wanting to turn those thoughts into actions. 

Everyone has different variations of PPD, everyone has different symptoms. My symptoms were extreme, just a step lower from wanting to harm my children. If I hadn't contacted a Psychiatrist, I without a doubt believe I would have not only harmed myself but possibly others. PPD is a serious thing and I do not think people understand and I definitely think people take it way to lightly.  

AA2.0
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Agreed. And MANY people do not simply "snap out of it" after speaking to a therapist for a while.

Quoting katinahat:

The bolded is inaccurate. Postpartum depression can arise up to a year after childbirth and last multiple years if not treated properly. 

Quoting loren_0710:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momof1014
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I know exactly how you feel! I was 19 when I got pregnant and 20 when he was born! He is now 14 months and I still feel this way! I try to tell myself that I am a mom and he is my responsibility now! Being a mom means it's time to grow up and take responsibility for another person! I understand that but I do have a lot of issues with being happy, mainly because I can no longer do the things that I did before I was a mom! I can't go spend time with my friends every day like I used to and no more partying unless I find a babysitter! Which that does not happen often! He is only still so young and needs to be at home with mommy! I've told myself that I am being selfish which in a lot of ways I am because I still want my youth and I still want to have fun! Make your son your pride and joy and enjoy every moment with him and when you do get the chace to do something for yourself take it! Even if it's once a month! A lot of happiness goes away after having a child because you don't only have yourself to deal with! I don't know about a lot of young moms but sometimes I have to go 2 or 3 days without a shower because he won't leave me alone! and when I do get the chance to take a shower i don't have the energy to do it! Little things like that can make you less happy! I know exactly how you feel... I really do and it's so hard to do the things to boost your self esteem, I'm unhappy because my body doesn't look like it used to I don't feel like I used to and when friends ask to hang out I can't because I have a greater responsibility or I won't because I'm too exhausted! Try to do some pampering for yourself! Take a bath with candles lit! Do some window shopping! Dress up do your make up get a mani pedi! Something little that makes you feel good about yourself will help you feel a little bit happier! 

loren_0710
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:13 PM

The "Bolded" is what my Psychiatrist told me....Sure some do not just "snap" out of it, but like I said that means that they have another untreated mental illness that made them more susceptible to PPD. 

Quoting katinahat:

Quoting loren_0710:

loren_0710
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM

The "Bolded" is what my Psychiatrist told me....Sure some do not just "snap" out of it, but like I said that means that they have another untreated mental illness that made them more susceptible to PPD. 

And it was more then just speaking to a therapist for a few times....In fact it was a Psychiatrist (there is a difference between the two) and my recovery was very intensive. My exact point regarding the awareness to PPD. Until you live it, until you feel it, until you recover from it, you cannot judge. I was lucky I recovered. Thanks and good day.

Quoting AA2.0:

Agreed. And MANY people do not simply "snap out of it" after speaking to a therapist for a while.

Quoting katinahat:

Quoting loren_0710:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN