Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

The "Menstrual Cycle" Talk

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a 10 year old girl turning 11 this summer and I am bracing myself for her cycle to start. We all have had the experience of our first period and I remember what it was like for me. I was in the middle of class when mine started. Thank goodness our uniforms were a dark color.

I was more mature then she is at her age so I think I was a little more prepared. I'm not sure how prepared she is to take care of her hygiene like she should. Especially considering she is LAZY!! I have to push her to do just about everything. Her oral hygiene is the biggest thing.

I have noticed that she has started to ask more questions about it and everytime she starts to ask me something my heart stops. I've had the talk and showed her what to do. I just hope it sinks in and she's ready.

For those with girls approaching puberty.. How do you think they are going to handle it? How are you handling knowing your little girl is growing up so fast?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Replies (11-13):
mnmo3bb
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Nope. I got mine at 11, my mom was 17.

Quoting Megan11587:

Random question...I didn't get my period until I was 15.  Does the mother's age of puberty predict the child's age?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:40 AM
I think there is a Taking charge of your fertility for teens. I plan to get that. Should soon, my daughter is 9. I hope she has a few years before her cycle starts but you never know...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
by Alicia on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:36 AM

My 9 year old started hers last month.  I wasn't planning on her getting it. Luckily we were home when it happened. She ran to her dad and then he sent her to me. She handled it well. I explained to her about it and she makes sure she is always clean. She is a clean kid already so it wasn't much of a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)